4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 5:55 PM by padler

Uninstall VS Enterprise 8.5.0i

I need to uninstall McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i from a laptop that used to connect to a company network. The company installed VSE on this (personally-owned) laptop and locked it down pretty tightly.

VSE is controlled by ePolicyOrchestrator 3.6.0.608.  I haven't yet tried the simple step of Control Panel > Add/Remove, because I've seen McAfee KB55208 which says that there would probably be a problem with the option to "Prevent McAfee services from being stopped" and thus that option should be disabled.  However, the method given to disable that option requires starting the ePO Console.

Unfortunately, there is no McAfee group in Start > All Programs, and no entry anywhere in Start > All Programs for the ePO Console. What is the name of the executable file for the ePO console, and is it located in Program Files\McAfee or somewhere else?

Alternatively, I can start the VirusScan Console, but the option to disable Access Protection is itself disabled (and the option to unlock the complete UI is p/w protected.  Do I have to go back to the laptop user's former company and ask them to disable/uninstall?

FWIW, here are version numbers:
      VSE 8.5.0i or 8.5.0.781

ePO Agent 3.6.0.608

• 1. Re: Uninstall VS Enterprise 8.5.0i

Hi Padler,

Please check out the following KB Article to uninstall VSE 8.5i.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50602

I strictly suggest that you use CAUTION while unsintalling the software and take care not to delete anything critical. Just follow the steps as you see in the KB Article and that should take care of the issue.

Please revert for any more information/clarification.

If this answer was helpful or correct, Please mark it so that others can use it as a ready reference

Sameer

• 2. Re: Uninstall VS Enterprise 8.5.0i

Thanks. I had seen that KB article. Note that if I have to use solution 2, and if steps 1 - 6 don't change things, I won't be able to complete step 7 because I can't disable Access Protection.

I'll try Solution 1; perhaps that will work.

If I have to use Solution 2, I'll try to stop the services manually, which I think I can do if I'm running in Safe Mode.

• 3. Re: Uninstall VS Enterprise 8.5.0i

Sure thing Padler.

All the best with that and kindly update how it goes !

Also, Please mark the answer as Helpful/correct ( if you find it so ) in the end to help others get some reference for similar issues.

thank you

Sameer

• 4. Re: Uninstall VS Enterprise 8.5.0i

The McAfee KB articles only partially help.

Following KB50602, the first thing I did was run Add/Remove programs and uninstall VirusScan Enterprise.  This successfully ran to completion, but the McAfee icon remained in the Notification Area indicating that ePolicy Orchestrator Agent was still installed and still active.

I tried step 2 of KB50602, using msiexec, but this merely indicated that nothing could be uninstalled because it had already been uninstalled.

I tried the manual uninstall steps listed in KB50602, but as I did each step, I found that the indicated item was already gone.

I then tried to use the procedures outlined in KB55208 to remove Common Management Agent 3.6.0, but this too did not uninstall ePO.

Finally, using information from both KB55602 and KB55208, and running in Safe Mode, I was able to remove the various Network Associates, McAfee, and McTray reg entries, files, and folders.  I then checked with both Autoruns and Process Explorer for anything running (or wanting to run) that was associated with McAfee or Network Associates.  Everything seems to be gone.

If someone knows the name of the exe, dll, or other file that runs the ePolicy Orchestrator, it would be nice to know so I can confirm that it really is gone.