1 2 3 4 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2013 10:14 PM by sg300user

McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

Just got this email today:

Dear McAfee Partner,

In an effort to streamline McAfee firewall channel offerings and expenses, McAfee has made the decision to no longer continue the SnapGear Firewall product line in the channel.  Due primarily to the product being an OEM technology, moving forward, the SnapGear Firewall line will be following McAfee’s EOL policy.  This process will inform customers of this decision and the associated EOL schedule.  The policy is intended to provide our customers and partners with information and time to plan the evolution of their environment and migrate to replacement technologies.  As the multifunction firewall market continues to grow both in size and profitability, McAfee’s strategy includes replacement technology for the midmarket and branch office segments leveraging the McAfee Firewall Enterprise line, which will be providing new offerings in the second quarter of 2010.  Training, marketing collateral and additional information will be made available in the coming months. 

The SnapGear Firewall product offerings will continue to be sold until the end of sale (EOS) date specified in the chart below, pending inventory availability.  There will be no change to support services offered to ensure all customer issues are addressed and renewals for add-on subscriptions and support will be fulfilled as usual until the EOL date specified.  Again, McAfee is committed to supporting current customers and products.  Details on McAfee’s EOL plan can be obtained from the McAfee.com Web site. 

SnapGear Firewall appliances will be entering a maintenance mode, which will provide issue resolution at McAfee’s discretion, but no product enhancements will be made moving forward.  McAfee will be recommending customers contact their reseller for advice on replacement technology and a migration path when needed.
      The following list details the EOL schedule for the SnapGear Firewall channel product line:

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG300
      Appliance EOS:  April 26, 2009
      Appliance EOL:  April 26, 2012

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG310
      Appliance EOS:  July 11, 2010
      Appliance EOL:  July 11, 2013

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG560U

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG565

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG580

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG640

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG710
      Appliance EOS:  December 1, 2006
      Appliance EOL:  April 15, 2010

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG710+
      Appliance EOS:  December 1, 2006
      Appliance EOL:  April 15, 2010

SnapGear Firewall Model:  SG720

This schedule is also currently published on McAfee.com.  To reach this page you must navigate to:  McAfee.comàMedium BusinessàSupportàSupported product versionsàAppliancesàUTM Firewall (SnapGear)

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1.    Question:  When will customers be notified of this plan?
      Answer:  Customer email notifications will be distributed on March 11th. Notices of this plan will also be published in upcoming newsletters, and on the product registration Web site:  http://go.mcafee.com/utm/

2.    Question:  What should I be doing with my existing inventory of appliances and licenses?
      Answer:  Please continue to sell your products.  If you are interested in purchasing additional units, please contact your distributor before the EOS dates specified in the table above. 

3.  Question:  Does McAfee provide any alternative solutions to provide some or all of the features available on the SnapGear Firewall appliances?
      Answer: 
      a.    McAfee Firewall Enterprise offers both entry level appliances and virtual solutions for the Mid-Market and Enterprise.
      b.    McAfee EWS has both appliance and virtual solutions for SMB/Mid-Market mail and web security.
      c.    McAfee SmartFilter provides web filtering on a wide variety of platforms.
      d.    McAfee Web Protection Service provides Web Filtering and Antivirus/Antimalware in the Cloud (SaaS).
      e.    McAfee SaaS Email Protection & Continuity is a great Cloud solution for SMB messaging.

If you have further questions, please contact your McAfee channel or distribution account manager, or you may also email questions to: utmfirewallsales@mcafee.com 

Best Regards,
      McAfee SnapGear Firewall Team

McAfee Support Notification Service (SNS) provides valuable information to help you maximize the functionality and protection capabilities of your McAfee products.

To manage your SNS email preferences, please go to the SNS Subscription Center at
      http://my.mcafee.com/content/SNS_Subscription_Center
      (NOTE: This URL ensures your previous preferences are populated for your review).
      For Support issues, contact your Support Account Manager (SAM), or go to https://mysupport.mcafee.com.
      For other questions, go to http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact/index.html and select the appropriate contact link.

McAfee, Inc. | 3965 Freedom Circle | Santa Clara, CA | 95054 | 888.847.8766 | www.mcafee.com

McAfee and/or additional marks herein are registered trademarks or trademarks of McAfee, Inc. or its affiliates in the US and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks herein are the sole property of their respective owners. © 2010 McAfee, Inc. All rights reserved.

• 1. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

I have been selling SnapGear since they were branded Lineo from Moreten Bay, it would be for the last 10 years now I guess.

I'm sorry to say that I had a bad feeling about the SnapGear productline when Secure Computing was aquired by McAfee, specialy since 1:st april 2009 when it was rebranded to MFE UTM Firewall, my sales dropped from 70-80 units a months to 0. Now sales is starting to come back again.

I have tried out loads of other different brands and still SnapGear is always performing 100%. I understand that SnapGear does not perhaps fit overall McAfee, and McAfee is primary an AV company? but it would be better for the SnapGear productline if SnapGear management buy it out or McAfee sell SnapGear to some other entity that are interested to develop this further.

• 2. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans
            martin.dimov

If someone hears about what will happen with the SG brand (will it continues to exist somehow) please post it.

• 3. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

Please don't kill the snap gear router-firewall series. These are the only decent reliable devices on the market for the price range and features offered. I've recommended and installed SG560 at numerous client sites without any of the problems associated with lesser quality offerings from competitors in the same (and more expensive) price range.

When you hear your ISP say over the phone, 'yeah i've heard good things about the snap gear', that's got to be worth something.

I petition McAfee to not kill the 560 series at least. Don't EOL!

We need this router in the wild, not in a museum!

I know it's rare to feel strongly about a router of all things, but seriously, i spent years looking for this device and now we have to part ways so soon.

If you feel the same, let McAfee know.

save the snap gear!

• 4. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

You have to understand that the SnapGear brand or as it called MFE UTM FW is I guess less then 5% of the products manufactured, the platform is very well used as OEM product, we can only wish for that someone else OEM the complete SnapGear productline and put in to the general market, that will solve it. Haning around this platform for decade, "you never but the baby in the corner" it will as the bird fenix reveal it self as some other brand some day, as you say, the alternative is no option.

• 5. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

I simply cannot fathom why McAfee is choosing to discontinue the SnapGear appliance product line.

The SnapGear line is the BEST appliance on the market for what it does.

I've sold and personally configured and installed hundreds of them for small businesses and branch offices.

There are no other products on the market that can provide the same set of features I require. None.

Anyone who believes the McAfee Firewall Enterprise, EWS, etc products can replace the SnapGear line, simply has no understanding of the market in which the SnapGear competes or the features the SnapGear provides.

I can't speak to it's profitability to McAfee as a product line, but do know how this will hurt my business, and my customer's businesses.

Whatever product line I locate to replace the SnapGear's niche with, will be of a higher price and lack the remote diagnostic, routing, firewalling, and traffic management features we rely upon.

I do know the replacement will not be a McAfee product, as your competing products are unsuitable.

I encourage McAfee to consider alternatives:
                     1) Continue to sell the product and market it better (it's NEVER had good marketing)
                     2) Sell or spin-off the SnapGear business (maybe the employees will buy it)
                     3) Release the codebase under the GPL or other Open Source license

Chris Brown
                  Principal
                  Arrival Telecom, Inc.

• 6. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

I really like v3.2.2 of the firmware but think that v4.0.X has too many stability problems.  We've rolled all units capable of v3 back to v3 and the problems have gone away.  We've been experimenting with other solutions but they all lack something compared to the SG's.

• 7. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans
                      martin.dimov

another forum about Snapgear stop and possible replacement products, mcafee please read it too:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=856744

I've been tested all of the possible replacement products but still Snapgears has best price/functionality/performance even after the 30% price rice after April 2009.

I saw in this forum that it is possible an OEM customer to rebrand Snapgears, if someone knows such OEM, please post it.

• 8. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

This is quite possibly the best product for 95% of the businesses in Puerto Rico, very complete, cheap and even a klutz like me can get them up and running. I don't blame Mcafee, they are a profit driven business, this is a business decision. Perhaps someone will buy the technology and develop further that would be great.

• 9. Re: McAfee Support Notice: SnapGear Firewall End of Life (EOL) Plans

I'd just like to add to the chorus of disapproval of the EOL plans. Snapgear is/was perfect for small businesses - almost perfect reliability (for me anyway) and the right price point. McAfee obviously didn't want the business because I think the vast majority of Snapgear customers will now purchase products from McAfee's competitors... nice move.

I'm going to do my own research obviously but if anyone has suggestions re alternatives that would be helpful.

Thanks.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next