3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 1:17 PM by secured2k

Unknown Trojan:  What will get it out?

I seem to have gotten a trojan from a youtube video I stupifly followed a link to from a messege on Face Book.  According to the sczn done with McAffee via aol it seems to be related to some program called Gamevance  and a file called PUP  What will remove this bugger?  I'm lookint for something at no cost.Thank  YOU

• 1. Re: Unknown Trojan:  What will get it out?

Most of the time, the virus "KoobFace" is the worm you get from a link found on Facebook/MySpace that looks like YouTube.

The GameVance PUP is usually not a real security threat, but rather some software for online games that may get installed by mistake or without your permission with some other program. --> http://www.gamevance.com/

McAfee recommends that you perform an update of your McAfee DATs if they are out of date and then perform a full scan of your computer. Allow the scanner to remove what it finds. For better results, I recommend you update and then reboot into Safe Mode to perform the scan.

If the problem persists, McAfee has developed a special tool called "McAfee Stinger". It is important to read the directions about setting the Sensitivity Level to Very High and Action to Report Only. With the level set to very high, the chances of false positives or mistaken detection is greatly increased and you don't want to break other legitimate programs!

If you still have a virus or virus symptoms, post back your scan results.

• 2. Re: Unknown Trojan:  What will get it out?

Downloaded and ran Stinger.V. 10.01686 Built Nov 24 2009.  It came up with nothing.

• 3. Re: Unknown Trojan:  What will get it out?

Usually Stinger on Very High picks up anything suspicious. If nothing was found, then there might not be anything malicious on the computer or Stinger did not have a working internet connection while scanning. If you still have trojan symptoms, I recommend trying some other major malware scanners to see if they can pick anything up. A free tool called MalwareBytes is usually very successful at finding things AntiViruses miss and restoring some of the changes viruses make on your system. Please give that a try.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php