7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 7:40 PM by elarraza

Problem with Google Search

When I perform a typical search using Google, the suggested sites come up as typical. When I click to go to the site I want, I get redirected to a totally unfamaliar site. I suspect that I have some kind of virsus or something. My McAfee package is not picking it up. I also used some other spyware software that also does not pick up anything. The funny thing is that when I try the second time, and click on the web site I wanted, it brings me to the correct web page.

• 1. Re: Problem with Google Search
          Nitin Kumar

Hi,

Are you facing this problem with every random search also? Please check if you have installed or allow to install some unfamilier plugin for your browser. you can also use McAfee siteadvisor to know the status of a site also, it is free available at <http://www.siteadvisor.com/>

to check the plugin : Go to Tools -> Add-ons -> plugins-> see all the plugins (for firefox)

Go to Tools -> Manage Add-ons -> see all plugins

I hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Problem with Google Search

I am running IE. I tried going to "Manage Add-ons". What would I look for.? Everything seems legitimate. Once again, it is when I ggogle to search for a web page. Here is how it ahppens. Say I do a search for the Best Buy store. Google returns all possible sites. In this case, I would click the obvious one Bestbuy.com. After I click on the link for the web page, I get completely redirected to to another web page. It varies. Now, when I go back and click the Best Buy (in this example), it then goes to the correct page. I have to to it twice. Obviously, something is causing this because I never had this problem.

• 3. Re: Problem with Google Search

I have the exact same problem. I think I know when and where I got got it. I have run repeated scans with Mcafee and they do not find anything. I thought this program searched for malware. I have blocked using parental controls ask.com and searchxx.com and now I get jump and others.

• 4. Re: Problem with Google Search

The site that I primarily get bounced to is call Jungle.com(beta version). I also get bounced to other weird sites.

• 5. Re: Problem with Google Search

Hi,

Your browser seems to have been hijacked.

I suggest you disable all Add ons and tool bars. Then update your McAfee and run a Full Scan.

Let me know how it goes.

Sameer

• 6. Re: Problem with Google Search
                    SamSwift

You might also want to check the host file to see if it's been modified via the typical location of C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ then file 'hosts'.  Typically malware will try to block users from accessing certain sites by changing this host file to block access.

Edit the "hosts" file with the Notepad application to see if there are any additional entries beyond the standard template like below:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
                    #
                    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
                    #
                    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
                    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
                    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
                    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
                    # space.
                    #
                    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
                    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
                    #
                    # For example:
                    #
                    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
                    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

• 7. Re: Problem with Google Search

Thanks for assistance. My "host" file has the following added below the last line you are showing:

127.0.0.1         local host

64.71.248.152               download.mcafee.com

64.208.176.57               download.mcafee.com