7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 10:03 AM by PGI

An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection

I just installed Total Protection and I can't run a full scan. Or any scan for that matter.

I get the following message:

"An unexpected error occured during your scan.

Please click OK to go back to your Home page, and then try running your scan again."

I tried to run it from the Home page but I got the same error each and every time.

I have run mvt and it tells me that there are no errors.

I've had no luck with the Live Chat feature and my computer seems to be unprotected at this point.

HELP!?

• 1. Re: An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection
          Dinz

Hi mjsawyer309,

May I know the following information of the computer ;

Open security center and let me know whether it states Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure ?
          What is the version of virus scan ?
          How old is the computer ?
          Was it infected by malware in the past ?
          open IE , click tools – internet options
          From the advanced tab , click Reset and close all windows and then try to perform a scan

Regards,
          Dinesh K

• 2. Re: An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for the response. It states that "my computer is at risk."

I bought and installed Total Protection, so it should be the latest version.

The computer is just over 1 year old and has never been infected by Malware as I've ad McAfee Virus Scan Plus from purchase date until this renewal where I upgraded to Total Protection.

I did as you requested and reset my IE options to the default, but that did not work either.

I still receive the same error message and I am not sure where to turn as live chat has been no help.

I appreciate your guidance.

Best Regards,

-Mike

• 3. Re: An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection
              Dinz

Hi Mike,
              Since you have renewed from virus scan plus to total protection, did you completely remove the older version and then install the new package.
              Also let me know whether did you run MVT, if not please run the mcafee virtual technician (MVT) from  here http://mvt.mcafee.com  and post me the session id so that I could check whether your new total protection went in completely.

Thanks,
              Dinesh K

• 4. Re: An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection

I am having the same problem. I have the same error.  I ran a quick scan and it worked fine, but everytime I run a full scan I get "An Error Has Occurred.  An unexpected problem occurred during yoru scan. Please click OK to go back to the Home page, and then try running your scan again."   I just purchased and downloaded Total Protection today.  The computer I am trying to scan has Microsoft Windows XP Pro, Version 2002 Service Pack 2.  I am running the McAfee Virtual Technician now. I will let you know if this solves the problem.

PGI

• 5. Re: An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection

Hi

I ran mvt and I have attached the log.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 6. Re: An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection
                    Dinz

Hi PGI,

>  Please open your internet explorer. Click help – Click About internet explorer and let me know the following information:
                    Version :
                    Cipher strength:
                    Product id :

Ø  Also check whether the computer doesn’t have any other security software in control panel or in C:/program files & common files.

>  Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key, you would be getting a screen that says windows advanced boot option s menu
                    From that select safe mode and try to run a scan and let me know the status

Regards,
                    Dinesh K

• 7. Re: An Error Has Occurred...newly installed Total Protection

Version 6.0.29002180.XPSP-SP2.QFE.09208-2052

CIPHER: 128-BIT

PROD ID 76487-OEM-0011903-00111

UPDATED VERSIONS; SP2

I will try the other stuff and let you know.

THanks