Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
76951 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2010 8:11 PM by huskycountry RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Newcomer 4 posts since
Feb 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 28, 2010 8:49 PM

Real-Time Scanning will not start

I have a brand new laptop running Windows 7. I removed the trial version of Norton AntiVirus and then downloaded McAfee Total Protection & installed it. Installed with no problems but the real-time scanner will not turn on. All other pieces of protection are running. I went to the McAfee help section on the web site and did all 5 trouble-shooting resolutions and nothing has worked. I'm at a loss for what to do next to fix this problem. Whenever I open McAfee it shows 'your computer is at risk'. I go to real-time scanner and click the 'turn on' button but it's not turning it on. Help please! Thanks!

• Newcomer 4 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    1. Feb 28, 2010 9:39 PM (in response to teewhyell)
    Re: Real-Time Scanning will not start

I have the same problem. It's ******* frustrating how I've paid 60 dollars for this, too. The whole "Total Protection 2010" is the most user-unfriendly piece of **** I have ever paid for in my life. I guarantee you I'm not going to be a future customer of McAfee.

Oh, and all the customer support/help things they throw at you are to be described with one word: ****. Comprehensive information? Step-by-step guidance? Yeah, and I'm ******* Obama. You know what it says about "Fixing protection problems"?

"Your McAfee software reports critical protection problems as soon as it detects them. When a critical protection problem is detected, a notification is displayed in the protection status area on the McAfee. Critical protection problems are directly related to the critical protection features: Real-Time Scanning, Updates, Personal Firewall, And Subscription. If a critical protection problem occurs, it compromises your PC's security and changes the protection status to "at risk" until you fix the problem."

Well. Good ******* job, McAfee. Thanks you giving us really comprehensive information about why your piece of crap product that WE PAID FOR ISN'T WORKING. Thanks, also, for giving us step-by-step intructions, or maybe a link to a troubleshoot, to help us FIX THIS ******* ISSUE. First day customer, and I am just so impressed.

And by the way, I had to copy that above quote word-for-word, seeing as your OF doesn't allow copy/paste. Love it.

Message was edited by: neurovore on 2/28/10 9:39:56 PM CST
  • Newcomer 4 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    2. Feb 28, 2010 9:38 PM (in response to teewhyell)

Same here, it seems like an online installer problem..

please help

• Newcomer 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    3. Feb 28, 2010 9:45 PM (in response to neurovore)

having the same issue here as well. Also when i try to download updates I get 'McAfee cannot update your software. Please check internet connection ( internet is working). Any fix for this?

Message was edited by: Jeff08128 on 2/28/10 9:45:15 PM CST
  • Newcomer 4 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    4. Feb 28, 2010 9:41 PM (in response to Jeff08128)

I hope so. McAfee better hope so too. Otherwise I'll have to go through all the work of returning this crap product (assuming I can; I don't trust **** from McAfee anymore), and then the hassle of going out and buying Norton 2010 instead.

• Newcomer 3 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    5. Feb 28, 2010 9:44 PM (in response to teewhyell)

Same problem with online download for Windows 7. Scan won't start, none of the troubleshooting helps...

• Newcomer 4 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    6. Feb 28, 2010 9:46 PM (in response to neurovore)

And also, I shall mention that nothing on the McAfee website is helpful. All they do is try and sell stuff. And give us a bunch of semantic-laiden ********* in order to try and sell stuff. God. I am so ****** right now. 60 bucks and 8 hours of my life put into troubleshooting down the drain.

• Newcomer 3 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    7. Feb 28, 2010 9:48 PM (in response to neurovore)

I've been waiting for probably 45 minutes for the online chat support... never had to wait that long ever before for chat support. It said 9 minute wait - even that long is crazy.

• Newcomer 3 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    8. Feb 28, 2010 9:49 PM (in response to Jeff08128)

I get the same error - and then I click update - and it downloads the software just fine (you can see the % increasing to 100) then it gives the same error about not up to date, and scanning won't enable, check for internet connection problem, etc.

• Newcomer 2 posts since
    Feb 28, 2010
    9. Feb 28, 2010 9:58 PM (in response to snickers)

I have been having the same problem that the real-time scanning is disabled and will not start.  I also used the Mcafee virtual technician and it found nothing.  I also did a scan of my hard-drive using the Freescan software that McAfee will provide free of charge.  Of course if it finds something, there is a heft price to fix the detected problem.  The freescan also found no detected viruses.  Now i am looking on the forum.  If someone knows how to fix this, that would be great!!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points