8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 8:10 PM by georgehagenauer

When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?

I see that a lot of people are struggling with this issue but I haven't been able to read a fix that I can understand from any of the dicusson questions. What I need (with my computer illiteracy) is for McAfee to add this fix to their SecurityCenter so I can update this and then run the scan. How long will it be before this fix is added? I have paid some good money over the years for McAfee products but all the answers I see on the discussion board seem to point me to fixes other than McAfee. Please let me know how i can fix this safety issue on my computer. Thanks.

• 1. Re: When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?

Hi jvb25,

The first thing you can do to enhance your chances of detecting and cleaning a virus is to make sure both your Engine and DAT files are up to date.

If you have a system where you can do a test scan, you may wish to try our beta Daily DATs to get the latest detection available.  You can find this on our web-site at:
          http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.aspx

If your system is still infected we would need a sample for analysis. Please send us a sample for analysis, in a password-protected ZIP file (password - infected).

You can find detailed instructions for how to do this at <http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx>

Please include a description of the symptoms your system is experiencing, and any pertinent information about what AV Products you are using including company, version number (engine/dat numbers for McAfee Products) and results of the scan.

you can also contact our technical support for assistance with detection and cleaning or removal of viruses or trojans

Please use the following link to reach our technical support group for McAfee products.

Corporate Customers:
          <https://support.mcafee.com>

Single User/Retail Customers:
          <http://service.mcafee.com/default.aspx>

• 2. Re: When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?

Amith,

Thank you for the quick reply; I appreciate that somone got back to me within 12 hours. Unfortunately, I do not understand the answer you provided. I have no idea what the Engine and DAT files are and therefore do not know how to update them. I have included a screen shot below that shows the McAfee program I have and the "Update" button on this program. If this is the update you are referring to, I did this late 2/27 and then ran a full scan without any success.

update.jpg

In terms of the symptoms, this is the same problem that many other people are already trying to get fixed on this community discussion board. See below

Jan 26, 2010 12:46 AM with >12,000 views

If you have Fake AV Software showing up on your system, read this

Feb 2, 2010 6:19 AM with >6,000 views

Help: how do I remove "XP Antivirus pro 2010"

Feb 24, 2010 8:08 AM

XP Antirus Pro

It seems that there are thousands of McAfee customers struggling with this issue and while I read in these threads that there is a "stinger" that can be run it appears this stinger causes more problems than it fixes, which scares me to death to use it.

As for the rest of the recommendation, I am just not comfortable doing much more than pushing my scan and update buttons in my McAfee SecurityCenter. I purchase McAfee proucts so I do not need to be a computer programmer to fix the problems because I usually break more than I fix.

It appears that other security programs already have fixes for this issue from the discussion threads in this community. As I have paid hundreds, probably thousands of dollars for McAfee products over the years I was under the impression that McAfee would provide fixes for these very types of issues. If I am mistaken, please let me know and I can switch my business to another security program.

• 3. Re: When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?
              SamSwift

Hi,

XP Antivirus Pro isn't just one virus - every day the guys behind these threats bring out new versions in order to try to beat the AV companies, as this is the way they make their money.

We sucessfully detect literally thousands and thousands of these types of threats (known as "fake alert") but it is an ongoing battle and as I said before there will always be new variants, which is seemingly what has happened in your case. 

Are you able to submit a sample to us? If so please upload it to http://www.webimmune.net and let me know the analysis ID number please.

Kind regards,

Sam

• 4. Re: When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?

I too have issues. I tried having a chat with McAfee and they referred me to virus removal. The only help they will give is if I pay a lot of money which I do not have. From searches it appears that they would not be able to find it anyway using their methods. I tried the microsoft malicious removal tool. That did nothing. Spybot like to remove files but that is not solving the problem. A LOT of people have this virus.

Why is McAfee not doing something to remove it. Can they not give me any help. Why have microsoft not attempted a fix or even a warning? The only decent bit of information appears to come from here

There should be a link inserted somewhere here. The solution seems to involve a lot of work in the registry which I do not even want to attempt.

• 6. Re: When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?

So this is a bit weird but the XP Antivirus Pro just disappeared from my computer. I really have no idea how this happened as neither my wife or I did anything. From reading the threads in this community, whatever fixed the Antivirus Pro also left us with the same problem many people experienced when the McAfee "stinger" was used--that all exe programs no longer work. Luckily, indymag (Jeff in FL) posted the link to a very quick fix that I used and am not having any problems now (thank you indymag!!). The fix for the exe issue can be found at post 84 at the following link http://community.mcafee.com/message/116880#116880. I also included the text from this entry below for those who may need it.

------------------

84. Feb 27, 2010 2:34 PM in response to:                                     frustrated2010

Re: If you have Fake AV Software showing up on your system, read this

I switched from Norton to McAfee a few years ago as Norton was a real memory hog.  I haven't compared them side-to-side any time recently.

The fakealertstinger solution worked for me today for the Antivirus XP 2010 fake antivirus malware.

As instructed, I turned off my System Restore, rebooted, ran fakealertstinger with preference set to Very High sensitivity.

I also had the same problem after running the fakealertstinger -- In that my .exe didn't work - my rundll32.exe couldn't be found, etc.

My file associations were all screwed up.

I was able to get on the internet and Google for a solution and made it to Doug Knox's Windows 95/98/Me/XP/Vista Tweaks and Tips website at:

http://www.dougknox.com/

I use Windows XP, so I clicked on the "Windows XP Fixes" on the left.

Then I clicked on "File Association Fixes"

Then I clicked on "EXE File Association Fix"

That downloaded the ZIP file.  I then unzipped it, then double clicked the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file, and then EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY.

I have rebooted, rescanned, rebooted, rescanned - I am free of the Antivirus XP 2010 evil, and the glitches caused by the fix.

The direct link to the Windows XP fix for me was: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Jeff in Florida

• 7. Re: When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?

OK this is weird. This has now happened to me. Relieved, I think!

The XP icon was still in my task bar about an hour ago. I hid it from view last night and it did not pop up for about an hour. I was just surfing and realised I had not seen any popups for the past hour.

When I looked again it has completely vanished and windows security centre has returned to normal.

I hope that this is not a sneaky trick. I have had my normal McAfee running plus spybot.

I tried a little earlier tonight to read an external memory stick but could not get anything to work. When I clicked to expand the plus sign vanished.

• 8. Re: When is an update going to be added to the McAfee SecurityCenter to address the "XP Antivirus Pro" issue?

A major problem with  the version I have of antivirus xp 2010 is that it blocks all access to any online antivirus programs like mcafee so all these things are nice but i am blockaded from using them (I am on my wife's mac and programs downloaded here are not transferable at leadt the other solutions i have found o nthe web).

If you develop a solutiuon make sure it can be downloaded and launched from a CD or zip drive.

I wil lbe taking my computer in tomorrow and paying for a fix.

Very frustrated had Norton for years and never had any problem like this and there seem to be other programs on line that can fix it but they all have a fee and I frankly don't trust them . Since having my hours cut at work I depend on on line work to fill in for lost income - lsoing two days due to a virus that seems to be quite common is a major loss.