9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 6:14 PM by newjack

Can someone please answer this??

Hi,I know that the forums are overwhelmed with problems that many people are haveing.Could someone please answer this question that i have posted over a week ago.I have a assigned i.p trusted connection through my provider,which i phoned.I have an i.p. 10.135.64.1 that comes back as reserved.It is continually monitering my computer when i open up the security centers inbound recent events.This number can not be blocked,there is no destination.At times it is the 1st i.p that is listed in events,even before my provider??Besides this i also could not log on today because a recieved a Mcafee pop up that said i.p. adress 192.168.100.1 wants to be added as standard,public or trusted.I did not allow this # i shut down because Mcafee did`nt give the option to block.Now i see the i.p that i did`nt allow is in my recent events along with the other (10.135.64.1) i.p. I can not find out where they are from (reserved) or what they are for.Can someone please tell me why i can`t block i.p's that clearly already have access to my new computer with my paid subscription to Mcafee?This is a concern since i lost my last computer to a virus and can`t afford to shell out more money for another computer or program right now.                                            Thanks for your time

Jack

• 1. Re: Can someone please answer this??

newjack wrote:

Hi,I know that the forums are overwhelmed with problems that many people are haveing.Could someone please answer this question that i have posted over a week ago.I have a assigned i.p trusted connection through my provider,which i phoned.I have an i.p. 10.135.64.1 that comes back as reserved.It is continually monitering my computer when i open up the security centers inbound recent events.This number can not be blocked,there is no destination.At times it is the 1st i.p that is listed in events,even before my provider??Besides this i also could not log on today because a recieved a Mcafee pop up that said i.p. adress 192.168.100.1 wants to be added as standard,public or trusted.I did not allow this # i shut down because Mcafee did`nt give the option to block.Now i see the i.p that i did`nt allow is in my recent events along with the other (10.135.64.1) i.p. I can not find out where they are from (reserved) or what they are for.Can someone please tell me why i can`t block i.p's that clearly already have access to my new computer with my paid subscription to Mcafee?This is a concern since i lost my last computer to a virus and can`t afford to shell out more money for another computer or program right now.                                            Thanks for your time

Jack

Jack that ip address 192.168.100.1 sounds like you are using a router and that would be your routers ip address which in my system here at home would be part of my home network and should be trusted.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/27/10 2:51:14 PM CST
          • 2. Re: Can someone please answer this??

BigJ,Thanks for responding.I appreciate your attempt but that is not the case.Also The other i.p constantly is in my view in bound events log and can not be blocked.If i knew what it was i would`nt be concerned but it gives the same options,as say your internet provider(add as trusted,standard or trace) for this #.I called my provider & they said it`s not in their database.They don`t know what or where it is comeing from.They said to ask mcafee.

• 3. Re: Can someone please answer this??
              Peter M

Inbound events can be ignored.  They are shown for your information only and they are all blocked by default, unless you deliberately allow them access of course.

Ask your ISP as they may have some idea what it is.

• 4. Re: Can someone please answer this??

I understand that most inbound events represent attempted.As i have learned this from what you have said in the past.Being that you are 1 of the people i really trust with the information you supply on the forums i trust & respect yout opinion.But as i stated i did phone my i.s.p they say they have know idea who`s # that is.It is not in their datsbase.The problem is as i explained above that i don`t know what it is & it seems to show up as 1 of the 1st entries in event viewer.At times even before my provider.They said to ask Mcafee.The next problem is if it is not a Mcafee #.For some reason it has the same options as my i.sp.I can only trust it as standard,trusted or trace,which amounts to nothing but IANA.Would it be pssible to find out as i am concerned as it seems this computer # already has the same options as my isp by the way i can`t block it.

As always thanks for your help Peter

Thanks Jack

• 5. Re: Can someone please answer this??
                  Peter M

Well you could always ask Tech Support Chat I suppose.  I can't even get any information on that IP that's useful.  Do you do any Torrent downloading or file sharing?  Just a thought.

• 6. Re: Can someone please answer this??

No i don`t do any of that stuff.Plus i just have the 1 computer.But even if i was to do that,which i don`t,would i have to allow an i.p access?That is the part i don`t understand.I have never given anyone else access other then say whatever is in program permissions and is o.k.The i.p in Question seems to be given access.Because other then my service provider which has 2 #`s this 1 can not be blocked.I guess i will wait a little and see if anyone else knows.Then i will have to dive into something i really don`t enjoy interacting with(tech support).Some of which are my own issues.

As always

Thanks Peter.

• 7. Re: Can someone please answer this??
                      Peter M

I suspect that IP belongs to an application that you are using hence it being set in its place.  It's difficult to find any references to it but from what I can gather it may be a private IP allocated to something like online gaming...World of Warcraft for one example.

• 8. Re: Can someone please answer this??

Peter,I really appreciate you going the extra mile(as always).But i believe world of warcraft is a bit out of my age range.lol

If this is indeed true then i really am wondering what is going on.I don`t use online games,or for that matter even the games that come with Windows.The only programs that were given permission by me were either the obvious ones that Mcafee would o.k.Or a few that do seem odd to want internet access but are listed as microsoft products.These products that do have access and i am not sure why they need full are.

windows host process(rundll32),wmi host , windows installer,windows active technoligies service and 2 win programs

wermgr exe ? Other then that the majority are known or are Mcafee -which i have 16 for in permissions.

• 9. Re: Can someone please answer this??
                          Peter M

Very strange.  If I hear anything about it I'll post.