1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 9:00 AM by peter_eepc

Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

This is causing a HUGE problem for me at present.

History:

1. I am running Windows XP on a laptop.
      2. 2 years ago my end-client insisted I have Safeboot DE for PC installed. My Service Agency bought a 10-user licence of the software, version 5.1. HOWEVER, a singleton and standalone copy only has been installed on my laptop. It is not linked to any centralised management centre.
      3. I am not a Safeboot expert, only an end-user.
      4. Under normal working conditions I encountered the Safeboot challenge at system start-up, and also when wanting to clear the Safeboot screensaver.
      5. But on Thursday last (25th February) I unchecked the desktop screensaver password requirement property (in Windows desktop properties) and thought nothing of it.
      6. Yesterday, Friday 26th February, when starting up the laptop and for the first time, Safeboot responded to my userid/ password challenge with the error code e0010025 This user is not active. I ASSUME this is a result of deactivating the screensaver password requirement.
      7. As stated above, my laptop is standalone and therefore I assume I cannot use the User and/ or Machine Recovery procedure. In any event, the management centre is not installed anywhere at present.
      8. I do now have access to the original Safeboot 5.1 CD and the licence code.
      9. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO RE-ACTIVATE MY USERID AND GAIN ACCESS TO MY LAPTOP PROPERLY?
      10. If so, is there also a way then of removing this standalone version of Safeboot from my laptop to avoid this in the future?
      11. As a last resort I understand I can run a BartPE with Safeboot Plugin. Please confirm this can at least recover all my decrypted data?

Many thanks for reviewing my issue.

• 1. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Because you said:

My Service Agency bought a 10-user licence of the software, version 5.1. HOWEVER, a singleton and standalone copy only has been installed on my laptop.

I assume that you have already contacted your Service Agency asking for help. They, in turn, should contact McAfee to obtain necessary support for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I am no longer with the Agency or with the end client noted in my original mail. However the Agency, who never used the DE software again, have sent me the original CD and licence key.

I'm not sure McAfee Support would talk to me and I suspect the Agency will not take this up on my behalf!

Rgds

• 3. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Did they (Agency) ever provide you with some information pertaining to encryption. Like small key file (SDB)? Without that, I'm afraid, you won't be able to recover your data. I hope you have some backups (because disk hardware failures or laptop theft are much more common than your case).

• 4. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Peter,

Again many thanks for the response. I'll find out about the SDB file, I do not know what this is but I'll do some research! I am not hopeful they will have such a file.

Yes I have been backing up my data, but typically not in the last month since the missus own laptop started pushing up the daisies. So are you suggesting I rebuild by laptop and restore from my backed up data? Will this not include a load of Safeboot files and if so, can I be hopeful that after a reboot post-rebuild the laptop will come to life OK?

Alternatively what about this BartPE I read about in the Safeboot documentation, is this not a viable option do you think?

Cheers

• 5. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Since you cannot use SBFS for local EEPC authentication, I doubt you will be able to use it with SafeTech floppy or WinTech based CD. You must have SDB of your machine. If you have backup of your data, then yes, reinstallation seems to be more feasible in your case.

I don't know why you care about "a load of Safeboot files".

• 6. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Peter,

I'm not overly worried about Safeboot files post-reinstallation per se, as long as Safeboot does not affect the laptop build once the machine is then re-booted. Again please note I am not technical.

Going back to the SDB file you mentioned - what does this file actually do and how could I use it to help my situation? For instance, is this a data file that might contain my userid/ password combo from when things were OK? If so, is it then a case of overwriting the current (and therefore inactive userid I have) file and re-booting? Where do I find this file if it is on my backup machine?

Again many thanks

• 7. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

If indeed you have a single stand alone copy, and don't have access to the management server it registered itself to, then your data is lost if you don't have an alternate user ID. This is security software, there is no back door.

The only way to recover your data is if this machine was NOT a "stand alone" install, and in fact had registered its keys with a central management system, and you can get hold of that "machine export", or as we call it, a .sdb file.

Your best bet would be to format the drive and start again. As long as you use FIXMBR (or the equivalent command for the OS you are installing) then you will remove "SafeBoot" completely. If you forget to do this, you'll just end up with more error messages.

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 2/28/10 11:02:34 PM GMT-05:00
                      • 8. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

Hello Mr Safeboot,

OK judging by responses so far, it does look like I'll be re-formatting my drive and reloading data from my backups. (Hopefully they worked OK!)

Is there nothing I can do then about data from the last month? Looking at the Safeboot documentation it suggests a BartPE with Safeboot plugins can be used to extract data files, decrypted. Is this NOT the case then, for instance I would still need to have an active userid? (I've never done a BartPE CD so even this would be a journey into the unknown...)

Thanks

• 9. Re: Safeboot Error Code e0010025 The user is not active.

In your case you would need to have exported machine key file (SDB). That file was availbale at the time encryption was installed by your support Agency. Since you don't have it, data cannot be retrieved from encrypted disk.

1 2 Previous Next