1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 11:41 AM by SamSwift

Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?

What tasks are being used to keep the Laptops current with the latest DAT files ? Would like a recommendation on what others are doing. It would be great if McAfee could determine when and Internet connection is made and automatically perform an update. Problem I'm having is user's use the hibernation mode a great deal, I don't want to stack update tasks up if I schedule one hourly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?
          HupSkiDup

I don't think you would be stacking tasks.  The task won't run until the agent detects it's connected to the epo server.  I think ours checks every 2 hours with the server, and that check is very small on bandwidth.  that may not completely answer your issues, but it's a start.

• 2. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?
            csteels

Did you find a way around this?  We have a similar problem where if a laptop is off the domain but has an internet connection it wont update the DATs, slightly worrying if somebody goes away for 3 weeks and take their laptop with them as they cant update till they are back on the network and it can talk to the epo server and get updates from one of the distributed repositories.

Ideally we want a way that it knows it isnt going to be able to get the updates from an epo repository and falls back to the internet to download but cannot see a setting or figure out how to make it behave that way, can anybody shed any light on the issue?

Thanks

Message was edited by: csteels on 24/03/10 03:25:44 CDT
            • 3. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?

On my understanding, the default agent setting include a repositories list whcih include the following

• your ePO server
              • McAfeeHttp

So, if the client cannot connect to your ePO server, it will fallback to get the updates from McAfee.

• 4. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?
                csteels

Thats how I assumed it would work, but when Im not on the network it doesnt seem to fail over to http?  Is there a specific agent policy I need to set for it to work?

• 5. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?

csteels wrote:

Thats how I assumed it would work, but when Im not on the network it doesnt seem to fail over to http?  Is there a specific agent policy I need to set for it to work?

I don't think so. At least, I didn't do anything about it and it works on our notebooks while outside the company network.

• 6. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?
                    csteels

I'll do some testing when I get back in the office Friday and see if I can figure out what its doing (or why it isnt doing what you'd expect)

We have 31 distributed repositories and the agent policy is set to go to the closest (or fastest) subnet so Im not sure if that could be causing a problem, either way my laptop has failed to update when Ive been connected to wi-fi points out of the office this week so something I need to get working soon

• 7. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?

I also have this problem with my remote laptop users.

• 8. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?
                        JeffGerard

I have a superagent repository that is accessible via ftp on internet and local lan.  I use that as my primary repo for laptops.  I have a dat update scheduled for every 3 hours with random 2 hour 59 minute connections. I also *had* a script that would run when my vpn users would connect to vpn that would launch a "cmdagent /p" to force the laptops to check in.

This worked well for me.....until now.

Now I am getting ready for a Windows 7 deployment and I can no longer run cmdagent with UAC enabled.  I have yet to figure out a way to run it with elevated priviledges so that the script can launch it.

I have a feeling I am going to be stuck with more aggressive agent settings to hopefully get laptops to check in when on vpn.

I opened a ticket on this and was basically told to open a FMR for either allowing cmdagent to run with UAC enabled or to request an "on-connect" option for an agent wakeup epo task as only "on dialup" currently exists.

I believe an "on-connect" wakeup task with options for network type/subnet would be the ideal/perfect solution to this problem.

• 9. Re: Laptop Updates - What are others doing ?
                          cvaras

I can tell you what I do here that seems to work fairly well...

As far as ePO can see, we only have one distrubited repository but that location is setup as the hub of a DFS share. When ePO sync's the master repository to the distributed repository, it only has to sync to the hub location of the DFS share. When DFS detects the changes made to the hub, it replicates those changes out to all of our remote repositories (over 30) setup as part of this replication set. Each client  automatically resolves to the closest DFS share location based on the DC they logged in to. My clients Repository list looks like this...

1. DFS Share name (exp. \\antivirus\software)

2. ePO master repository (just in case the client can not resolve or access the DFS share)

3. DFS Share hub location (I keep this one disabled but it's on the list be default because it's on the distrubuted repository list)

3. McAfee's FTP site

For "Repository list selection:" I have "use this repository list"

For Select Repository by:" I have "Use order in repository list"

A user who is not on our internal network but has internet access will fail to connect to 1 and 2, will bypass 3 and finally connect to 4 to pull the updates. We have been using this arrangement for a few years now with very good results.

1 2 Previous Next