6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 1:56 PM by jochumr

Missing computer after TPS software setup

System:

HP SMartServer EX495

McAfee TPS v 4.9.2.321

4 computers running Windows 7

Problem:

After completing installation of sw on Server and 4 computers, only server and 3 computers show up in Dashboard when I launch Launch SecurityCenter.

All 4 show up in "Computers & Backup" application, and the missing computer has  TPS installed and "working" correctly according to the console popup screen.

(all 4 areas are checked OK)

What am I missing?????

Message was edited by: jochumr on 2/25/10 10:55:11 AM CST
        • 1. Re: Missing computer after TPS software setup

Hi Jochumar,

Are you looking for the computers under the McAfee Security Centre ( www.mcafeeasap.com ) ???

If the 4 computers with Win 7 are being reflected and the one on the Media Server is missing, Then I suspect it might be because of the version of the software in use. The Mediasmart server has  a special version McAfee 4.9 for it and the other computers use the normal Version 5.0 with Patch 4.

If you are able to see the products active in their respective consoles, Then i guess you have nothing to worry about.

Please revert with the update !

Sameer

• 2. Re: Missing computer after TPS software setup

sameer172006

"Are you looking for the computers under the McAfee Security Centre ( www.mcafeeasap.com ) ???" - YES

"...  Then i guess you have nothing to worry about." ?  The problem is that 1 of the computer is missing from the report, even though the software is installed and the TPS did not properly install on the MMServer, Windows Firewall (WFW) is still running. When I try to install the TPS FW it says it installed, yet WFW is still running.

This is a home Media network, and should be plug and play like advertised. (I'm not an IT person, just have enough knowledge to get myself into trouble), but I do recognize a product that doesn't do what it says it does.

• 3. Re: Missing computer after TPS software setup

UPDATE:

Part of the problem was I had 2 accounts. After merging the accounts all computers and the server show up.

Now I still have the issude of no TPS firewall on the server. Even logged onto the server and tried to install via the browser. Windows Firewall prevails. argh!!!

• 4. Re: Missing computer after TPS software setup

Jochnur,

Just out of curiosity, Is your Mediasmart server a 32 bit or a 64 bit server ?

Also, You might want to manually disable the Windows Firewall and then do a reinstall of just the Firewall component.

Thank you

Sameer

• 5. Re: Missing computer after TPS software setup

Jochumr,

Here is the update for you.

Please check out this link . https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB61113

Apparently, The 4.9 version which is specially designed for Windows Home Server does not support the Firewall installation.

I believe, now you know why is that you do not see the McAfee Firewall. Please continue using the Windows Firewall.

It is a request to you - Please close the thread as Answered if it was helpful

Sameer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Missing computer after TPS software setup

Sameer172006

EX495 has an Intel® Pentium® Processor Dual Core 2.5 GHZ 64-bit

Thank you for the info. Funny how McAfee doesnt mention nor does HP that the firewall doesn't work.  ( oh yea, YET!!)

Thanks again fopr helping.