Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
31142 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 3:42 PM by Peacekeeper RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Newcomer 4 posts since
Feb 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2010 6:15 AM

Real Time Scanning Disabled

Every time I turn the PC on I am getting 'real time scanning disabled'. I enable it and it reverts within 5 seconds. I can not find the reason. I have tried initiating a chat with a technician, but when I get to the 'chat' button it takes me back to the support home page, so I am hoping someone here can point me

• Newcomer 4 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    1. Feb 25, 2010 6:24 AM (in response to stephenrbp)
    Re: Real Time Scanning Disabled

Hi stephen,

Do you use any other antivirus softwares in your computer if so you have to uninstall that and restart the computer.

If it doesn`t works then you can try the below mentioned step

1. Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should click the Windows Orb, type services.msc in the search box, right-clickservices.msc, select Run As Administrator, then click Continue.
    2. Locate the McShield service and check the status. If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and clickStart.
    3. When the status shows Started, close the Services window.
    4. Open McAfee SecurityCenter and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
    5. Restart the computer and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains enabled.
  • Newcomer 4 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    3. Feb 25, 2010 6:39 AM (in response to stephenrbp)

Please restart your computer and check the status stephen . As you told that you used adaware and Iobit check for the traces of these files in the below mentioned locations

For Windows vista\windows 7 :

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files\Common Files

C:\ProgramData

For Windows XP:

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files\Common Files

C:\documents& settings\all users\application data

Also delete folder with the name lavasoft which is related to adaware,

If these steps dint work follow the below mentioned step:

Download and run the oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility

1. Download and save the utility from the link below to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-f ix.cmd

2. Double-click the oas-disabled-fix.cmd tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run as Administrator.

If you receive the error StopService: Unable to open service McShield via SCM (5), press  CTRL+C to terminate the process.  You will be prompted to terminate the batch job. Type Y and press ENTER. Run the oas-disabled-fix utility again.

3. Restart your computer and ensure that McAfee Security Center shows that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.

• Newcomer 4 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    5. Feb 25, 2010 7:09 AM (in response to stephenrbp)

Welcome ,Stephen keep posting if you have any more issues.

• Newcomer 7 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    6. Feb 25, 2010 8:36 PM (in response to stephenrbp)

I am having the same problem and very frustrated. When I download the tool and run it I just get the cmd black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing else - is it supposed to do something?  I cannot even manually run a scan - it stops mid scan and will not continue.

• Newcomer 4 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    7. Feb 26, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to virushater)

Hi virushater actually when you run this tool nothing will happen a black window should come and disappear. If you still have the same problem may i know the type of operating system you have.Also i want to know whether you are already getting any spyware alerts.open internet explorer click help->About internet explorer and check the version and cipher strength and reply. Thanks

• Newcomer 7 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    8. Feb 26, 2010 1:15 PM (in response to Sree)

Looks like I resolved this finally.  What I did was turn off Mcaffee - or should I say - I let Mcafee stay off since it turned itself off. I completely uninstalled internet explorer.  Then I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware again - ran it and it found 53 issues which it removed.  I then was able to finally run my Macafee manual scan which then found 1 issue and removed it.  Now all is well.  Looks like Mcafee didnt detect these viruses and you need a malware or spyware software to get rid of whatever is causing this.

Figured I would offer this up to see if it works for anyone - beats paying a hefty fee to Mcafee to remove the virus

• Elurion Newcomer 16 posts since
    Mar 11, 2010
    9. Mar 11, 2010 7:24 PM (in response to stephenrbp)

Try this on safe mode

Download and run the oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility

1. Download  and save the utility from the link below to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-f ix.cmd

2. Double-click the oas-disabled-fix.cmd tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users  should right-click oas-disabled-fix.cmd and select Run  as Administrator.

If you receive the error StopService:  Unable to open service McShield via SCM (5), press  CTRL+C to terminate the process.  You will be prompted to terminate the batch  job. Type Y and press ENTER. Run the  oas-disabled-fix utility again.

3. Restart your computer  and ensure that McAfee Security Center shows that Real-Time Scanning is  enabled.

If dont work uninstall McAfee with MCPR and then in safe mode use Malwarebytes and then install again on safe mode and try the procedure.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points