7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 10:21 AM by rackroyd

client update steps when the ePO server is down

ralfrino

Hi,

I was looking for information how a McAfee Agent handles repositories which are out-of-date. I found very useful information in this thread http://community.mcafee.com/message/105991 where Jeremy Stanley explains that the McAfee Agent uses SiteStat.xml received from ePO to compare the status (enabled/disabled, time stamp of the updates) of the different Distributed Repositories in order to decide which Repository to update from.

Now what will happen when the ePO server goes down for a considerable time, let's say two days. The Distributed Repositories are out-of-date because no replication took place, but also ePO's SiteStat.xml is not available. Will the Agents be assuming that their current (out-of-date) SiteStat.xml is correct and no updates need to be conducted? Or is there another mechanism that lets them detect the situation and start downloading their updates from the McAfee HTTP fallback repository?

Thanks for your insights.

• 1. Re: client update steps when the ePO server is down
          rackroyd

Hi,

Agents will walk through their local copy of the sitelist which contains a list of the repositories.

Sitelists on the client are updated along with the policy from the ePO server. On a sitelist update from ePO the agent recalculates their own version to add in distance metrics and availability information. This is then stored locally. So, the result is the agent should always have a local list of what it thinks are valid repositories to use, and the order in which it will try to use them. At the end of this list is the defined fallback repository.

So, if the first repository does not respond the agent will walk through the local list until if all else fails it hits the fallback.

The idea is that you make the fallback always available (but not necessarily the best choice).

For example by using the McAfee Ftp or Http sites.

That way even if the ePO server and all distributed repositories are unavailable clients should eventually fail over to the McAfee update site - providing they still have an internet connection.

You can configure this as you wish, this is just an example.

Hth,

Rob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: client update steps when the ePO server is down
            ralfrino

hi rackroyd, thanks for the reply.

Your answer comes close to what I'm trying to figure out. The thing is that in my situation, the ePO server goes down for a couple of days (it's a lazy admin that doens't notice this, I know..) while the Distributed repositories stay active, albeit increasingly out-of-date. After a couple of days, the Agents sit there with an out-of-date SiteStat.xml, containing an out-of-date catalog time stamp. When starting their update, will the Agents compare the updates from the Distributed repositories with their SiteStat.xml, decide that they match, and stop the update? In that case, the Agents would never receive a newer update until the ePO server is live again, because only then the Agent will get its SiteStat.xml renewed and will it realise that the HTTP fallback is the only up-to-date repository.

I think in this situation the Agent will not try the HTTP fallback, because the Distributed repositories are still available and higher up the priority list, while they are tricked by their old StateStat.xml into believing they already have the latest update.

Thanks for your further assistance.

• 3. Re: client update steps when the ePO server is down
              ralfrino

Apparently I'm misusing SiteStat.xml in my posts, It should have been SiteList.xml.

• 4. Re: client update steps when the ePO server is down
                rackroyd

I did wonder

sitestat just tells you if a site is valid or not.

• 5. Re: client update steps when the ePO server is down
                  rackroyd

Hi,

The thing to remember here is the distributed repositories will be replicating from the master repository - which is on the ePO server.

So if the ePO server fails, all the distributed repositories stop replicating too.

Unless the agents hit a repository that is still being updated (because it's a mirror or a McAfee-hosted site for example)  then they won't be getting new updates as only the old ones will be available to them.

So, yes it is possible.

Rgds,

Rob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: client update steps when the ePO server is down
                    ralfrino

I see,

I take from your answer that when you configure the Agent policy to use the Master Repository, Distributed Repositories and a fallback Repository in the form of McAfee HTTP, Agents will download their daily DATs from HTTP fallback in case the ePO server is down for more than a day.

Can you confirm this? That would fully answer my initial question.

• 7. Re: client update steps when the ePO server is down
                      rackroyd

Should do, yes.

If it's critical I recommend you test & verify expected behaviour yourself too though

Rgds,

Rob.