5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2010 5:29 AM by Peter M

Do I need to remove these programs prior to upgrade?

I use the Cox Security Suite provided by McAfee.  Since McAfee has released SecurityCenter 10, I presume I shall be offered an equivalent upgrade at some juncture in the relatively near future.  I currently use Lavasoft Adaware and SpywareBlaster as additional security components.  I seem to recall in earlier days that McAfee would instruct the user to remove programs such as these prior to installation.  Is that still the case?  If so, I shall remove them prior to installation of the upgrade and then reinstall them.  However, I would prefer not to have to do all that if it is no longer necessary.  Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Do I need to remove these programs prior to upgrade?
          Dinz

Hi Warren,

Basically , before installing McAfee products it is suggested to remove any other security software if installed as they not only would conflict during installation but at a later point of time would have conflicts during any major updates. So its is highly recommended that you uninstall any other security programs from the control panel as well as their files & folders from C:/program files & common files so as your McAfee products would not have any trouble installing or updating.

Thanks,

Dinesh K

• 2. Re: Do I need to remove these programs prior to upgrade?

Hi, Dinz:

Similar concern here, as I have MBAM Pro, SAS Pro and Counterspy on my Vista desktop, and (as of the moment) MBAM Pro on the brand new Win7 desktop (which also has pre-installed MSC, "2009" versions).

The trouble is that, as far as I can determine, we end users running the "2009" versions (or the equivalent OEM packages) will have NO WAY to know until it is too late that the "update" we receive some day is the actual SOFTWARE VERSION UPDATE to 2010, and not just a DAT or minor update.  Since this is being throttled there's no way to know when an individual user will receive the new package.

IOW (unlike with nearly all other suites and standalone,s and NON-security software), McAfee does NOT alert the user that "a new version of the software" or "a MAJOR new version of the software is available"  or "updates to 2010 version are available" EARLY ENOUGH in the process for us to abort the update, or to at least create a system RP or PC image backup, just in case.

By the time the updater runs and the user is prompted for a reboot, it will TOO LATE to stop or at least defer/delay the process.

I JUST booted up the new computer yesterday, straight out of the box, and was greatly relieved to find the "old" version pre-installed.  But I held my breath when it updated, since I didn't know if it would be the day for the major upgrade, or not.

Why is McAfee so OPAQUE about this with their end users?

Why can we end users not be trusted with an alert or notification of a MAJOR version update (especially one so apparently unstable and buggy as 2010) in order to decide whether and when to install it?

Please advise,

MM

• 3. Re: Do I need to remove these programs prior to upgrade?
              Peter M

The original posters software should not cause major issues at all however any "Pro" i.e. active protection such as MBAM Pro, SAS Pro and Counterspy, could well cause issues.  That goes for any anti-virus application, not just McAfee.  McAfee advises uninstalling such software only as a precaution, but there are some well known ones that do cause issues & Dinz I am sure could list quite a few.   Again that can apply to any anti-virus application.

Personally I've only found minor glitches in the new software, nothing major at all.  Those finding major ones are quick to blame McAfee often very needlessly as the issues are caused most often by clashing software, indiscriminate use of registry cleaners or System Restore & malware etc.

You can adjust the settings to warn you of an impending update.  There is no point is creating system restore points as the software will simply update again in any case, unless you disable updates, then there is no point in having the software in the first place as outdated anti-virus is next to useless,

System Restoring can also cause McAfee to malfunction unless you update it immediately afterwards because it reads dates corresponding to the update version.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Do I need to remove these programs prior to upgrade?

Hi, Peter:

I understand your explanations, as well as the information about only running 1 AV or FW in active protection.

But I am still confused about the issue the OP asked.

I *do* have the updater set to NOTIFY before dowloading or installing any updates, so that I can install them manually (which I do immediately upon being notified, so long as I am not in the middle of some other critical task).  So, it's not about not keeping DAT files or software updated.

The annoying problem is that McAfee does not provide any detail about WHAT is contained in any particular update.  The pop-up merely says that "updates are available" for "McAfee Security Center" or "McAfee Virus Scan", without saying if it's "just" a DAT update, a minor version update requiring a reboot (eg. the recent update from 9.13.160 to 9.13.175), OR a MAJOR SUITE UPDATE (involving an "automated" uninstall of the existing version, reboot, etc).

This is the only major ISS or standalone security app I've ever used that does NOT provide some degree of specificity in its update notifications and/or provide the user the chance to "choose" when to install a software update (as opposed to just a DAT update).

So, how could the user possibly knowwhen to disable or uninstall any other standalone security app BEFORE updating to 2010, if there's no way to know WHEN that will happen????

By the time the "update" to 2010 has downloaded and installed, and the user is prompted to reboot, it is certainly too late to uninstall any other application (though I suppose one might be able to disable anything running active protection).

I would have no major issue with temporarily uninstalling MBAM prior to updating MSC to 2010, and then reinstalling it afterwards.

But I just don't know how I would know WHEN to do that, if I have NO IDEA when I will get my MSC 2010 update.

Sorry for taking up so much of your time, but this all seems to lead around in circles.

Thanks,

MM

PS  Likely b/c MBAM is not an "anti-virus" or FW, I have experienced no conflicts or issues running MBAM Pro 1.44 alongside McAfee active protection on either the Vista (32) or the Win 7 (64) system.

Moreover, it has blocked several, real-time, malicious IP intrusion events *not* detected by the McAfee FW on both my systems.  So, the added layer of protection is probably necessary these days.

• 5. Re: Do I need to remove these programs prior to upgrade?
                  Peter M

Notification of content of the updates has been requested many times but has never been acted upon unfortunately.  We still have it on our wish list.

Tech Support advising people to uninstall this and that is, as I said, only a precaution, because as far as I know the installer will tell you if something is blocking it.

I realise it puts one in a bit of a predicament at times.  We'll continue to plug the issue for you.