1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 24, 2010 6:31 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

Problem installing McAfee Vista optimizier

I purchased the Mcafee Windows Vista Optimizer to try and fix some of the recurring problems with Vista. However, I can't download/install this program. Everytime I try, as soon as the installation wizard comes up, I get the following message-- Internal error: failed to expand shell folder constant "userappdata"

Can anyone give me any advice on what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

thanks,

• 1. Re: Problem installing McAfee Vista optimizier
          Ex_Brit

This product is manufactured by Systweak.  McAfee only sells it as an agent for them.  Support is through them:  http://www.systweak.com/VistaOptimizer/

However, as you paid McAfee and can't even get it to download you may wish to call Customer Service first:

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call 866-622-3911. You may be asked for your registered email address and order number. Telephone charges may apply.
          Average contact length: 10   minutes
          Estimated wait time: 5-10 minutes
          Hours of Operation: Available daily, 6am-6pm Pacific

One thing to try although I can't guarantee anything as it isn't a McAfee product would be to make sure that Internet Explorer is your default browser and that it is set to its default settings.

If you have IE7 or 8 go to IE Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK, also OK any prompts.

Close and reopen the browser and go to Tools/Manage Add - ons and re-enable the add-ons.

Try your download again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/02/10 7:31:54 EST PM