4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 7:22 PM by tessebie

How to configure OSPF in SG580?

The enable check box for OSPF has help that says the config files must be manually edited to configure OSPF operation once enabled. Is there some guideance on how to do this? I only need to add a single network entry that contains our Cisco router that also has OSPF configured.

Cheers,

Mark.

• 1. Re: How to configure OSPF in SG580?

Using the Advanced > Configiguration Files menu is one way of doing it.

Its easiest to create files there as it will force the /etc/config file-system to be flushed to flash afterwards. If you just went in on the CLI via telnet/ssh and don't use a 'sync -f' or similar, then its possible to loose a 'new' file in /etc/config due to a power outage. ie. the syncing of the tmpfs into flash is managed by triggers/timers. A balance of 'its important do it now' and 'its just dhcpd.leases or similar - aggregate changes for an hour or so before syncing'. You can see evidence of this in the logd output as all flash-writes are logged there (permanently, logd is on flash).

As for what to put into the ospf configuration file - we currently do not provide any guidance on that. Basically a case of knowing what you are doing and/or looking it up on the web. Yes, not ideal - but that's what it is.

• 2. Re: How to configure OSPF in SG580?

The point of the question was find what to put in the files. Do you really think that if I new what to put in the files I would really need to be told how to edit a file?

I'm not sure how anyone who 'knows what they are doing' would know what to put in those file unless you are suggesting that some poeple are born with that knowledge, there must be some documentation somewhere that those who know what they are doing learnt from.

Perhaps you meant that I need to research Linux documentation ('look it up on the web') as it the the underlying OS that provides the OSPF functionality?

Clearly you are not one of the people 'who know what they are doing' to whom you refer, so I wonder what was the point of your post at all.

• 3. Re: How to configure OSPF in SG580?

http://www.zebra.org/

The documentation is all on this site above...you will need to do a bit of reading.

The interface or config files emulate cisco ios syntax.

let me know if when/if you get stuck

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to configure OSPF in SG580?

> The point of the question was find what to put in the files.

Thank you for that clarification.

The ospf daemon is based on zebra. 5.0 has quagga for what its worth, which is the successor to the now defunct zebra project.

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.dynamic-routing.html

should get you started. No, we do not provide any consulting on how to do this (I'm stating a fact, not endorsing the position).

Which of course raises the point of what use such a feature is, if one has to have a CS-major to be able to set it up. The point is that the binary is on the device, and can be turned on in such a fashion that firewall and 'other bits' work with it. There is no UI for the actual configuration file for it yet.

Yes, we are well aware of the limitations that this puts on the usefulness of the feature.

> Do you  really think that if I new what to put in the files I would really need  to be told how to edit a file?

Regardless of what people know about OSPF or its configuration, they could not possibly know about the internal setup of our configuration file system and its dynamics.

As there are diverse backgrounds involved, with some prefering CLI with vi and others being happy with a html text-box, yes, I really did think that you might benefit from some advice on how to best edit the file(s) as a separate concern from what goes into it.