2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 10:06 AM by SergeM

VSE 8.x vs. Filemaker Pro

SergeM

Hi,

I have several users here who report big problems with VSE OAD scanning loads of Filemaker Pro files and slowing everything down.

Does anyone have any information on Filemaker Pro (they're using an old version 7 but I'll take info on newer versions).

In particular and in order to create exclusion rules or specific rules I'd like to have info on

• processes used by FM Pro
      • standard directories, files and extensions of FM Pro
      • if anyone has official recommendations, guidelines from either McAfee or Filemaker on antivirus config

thanks in advance

Serge

• 1. Re: VSE 8.x vs. Filemaker Pro

I don't have the link but below is the text from a Filemaker document (might have been a knowledge base doc either).

APPLICABLE TO
          FileMaker Pro 7, 8, and 8.5
          FileMaker Developer 7, FileMaker Pro 8 and 8.5 Advanced
          FileMaker Server 7 and 8
          FileMaker Server 7 and 8 Advanced

ISSUE:

Antivirus software may cause file corruption.

RESOLUTION:

Please set the antivirus software so that it does not scan the Databases folder (and subfolders), or any location FileMaker Server/FileMaker Pro is opening the databases from.

The antivirus software should instead scan the backup destination folder, if scanning of the files is necessary.  Please schedule the antivirus software so that it does not scan during the time FileMaker Server is backing up the database files.  It is preferable to scan the database files after the files have been backed up completely.

HTH

gR

• 2. Re: VSE 8.x vs. Filemaker Pro
            SergeM

gerryrigney wrote:

(...)
            Please set the antivirus software so that it does not scan the Databases folder (and subfolders), or any location FileMaker Server/FileMaker Pro is opening the databases from.

That's nice, and I knew this, I found it in the FMaker doc (PDF) http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fmp10_users_guide.pdf (PDF)

However... I have no means to know where the Database folder is/are, nor what the database files (extensions) are !?  (Simpler with MS SQL or Oracle databases)

On top of this, it seems there's a problem with the actual UserProfile.  Local admins have checked and by creating a new User, they were able to "solve" the issue...

This is obviously an acceptable workaround but not a solution, nor an explanation of why VSE was suddenly taking +90% CPU (& resources) on the system(s)... and even more, why with the same config (and ruleset) a different user (both users are local admins) doesn't have this problem.

The databses are stored on a network drive (not recommended by FMaker docs, not my problem) and VSE is configured not to scan network drives... so this shouldn't happen.

thanks for any help

Serge

PS: will be off for a fortnight (at last a few days off)