2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 8:58 AM by dlcoffin

Can't open McAfee to run scan, change settings, manage network, etc, etc

I got a facebook message with a link. didn't think anything of it and clicked the link to youtube. apparently there was a virus attached and I started getting all kinds of pop-ups. THOUGHT I had deleted the files but not so sure. My laptop is new and came with McAfee. It appears to b installed, registered, etc (the M is red on the icon) BUT I cannot get the application to stay open. It pops up on the screen for literally 1.5 seconds. I can't even get to it to click anything. I try to run a scan by right-clicking on the icon - the same thing happens. I ran the virtual assistant and it found no problems. 205821186 is the id. thanks

• 1. Re: Can't open McAfee to run scan, change settings, manage network, etc, etc

Hi,

What is the type of Operating System ? ( Windows XP / Windows VISTA / Winodws 7 )

What is the type of internet connection ? (DSL/Dial-up/Cable/Wireless)

Check the date and time, if it is not correct correct it and restart the computer

Try to open mcafee, if it opens

click on about and get back to us with the versions of the product and the DAT version also

IF it does not open , restart the computer in safe mode with networking and try to open and get get back to u swith the versions

Still if mcafee does not open, restart the computer in Last Known Good Configuration and get get back to u swith the versions

Still if does not open mcafee

Check whether you are able to go online in any one of the above 3 modes

If you are able to go online

got to Mcafee Virus Removal Team following the link:: https://service.mcafee.com/UserInfo.aspx?lc=1033&sg=VR&pt=0&st=PHONE

Else contact your manufacturer.

Message was edited by: YOGAPAARTIBAN PALANI on 2/22/10 4:37:06 AM CST
          • 2. Re: Can't open McAfee to run scan, change settings, manage network, etc, etc

The laptop is at home, but this much I can tell you. It's Windows 7. I have cable, with wireless. I believe the date and time are correct.

I'll look at the rest when I get home.

Appreciate the help - this is a brand new laptop from Dell. I can't believe it has a virus already and that it wasn't caught.