1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 20, 2010 7:27 PM by Peter M

Getting fed up with McAfee Installation

I'm trying to renew mcAfee on an infected computer and slow network. It's hell.

First the link to the dmsetup.exe file wouldn't work. if it was a security thing (exe file isnt it), or a virus preventing it too, beats me, luckily I could download it from another computer.

Next, this thing downloads, then says, oh sorry I forgot, you must uninstall and restart, of course I wouldn't want the computer to run on anything else than safe mode for obvious reasons, so everytime I restart, it tries to download all 65 MB installation files AGAIN. So I've done that three times now, finally I'm rid of the old mcAfee, now it's downloading something else 33 MB this time.

Well, getting closer, but why in earth would an antivirus setup file, not check the installation BEFORE downloading 65 MB each time!????

• 1. Re: Getting fed up with McAfee Installation
          Peter M

It wont succeed on an infected machine anyway.  I suggest you run an online scan first to get rid of it whatever it is, then retry.

Try this &/or this.

Then do a cleanup and reinstall from the account.

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!

In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/02/10 8:27:39 EST PM