1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 6:00 AM by Peter M

How to remove a hidden file?

I know this file 'av.exe' is the file that is the virus, I know this because:

1. When I click 'end process', the spam and adware disappear from my computer.

2. When the ads come back the process 'av.exe' comes back again.

When I right click in the Task Manager about 'av.exe', it says the file is located in C:\Users\Nathan\AppData\Local\av.exe

However, when I navigate to that folder. The file isn't visible and isn't there, so how am I to remove it? McAfee already failed at detecting it, I ran two virus scans.

Message was edited by: Nathan_Archer on 2/20/10 3:26:42 PM CST
        • 1. Re: How to remove a hidden file?
          Peter M

You should be able to see it by going to the toolbar in Windows Explorer (that window) and clicking Tools/Folder Options/View and then checking Show hidden files and folders then clicking Apply/OK.

Clear out your temporary files via the following methods.

Go to Start/Run

Type in %temp% and click the Enter key.

Click Edit then Select All

With all items highlighted click Shift + Delete and most, not all, will delete.

Repeat the process using plain temp in Run.

Hopefully it will then be gone.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/02/10 4:14:25 EST PM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to remove a hidden file?

Ahh, I did the wrong file location, it wasnt Temp, it was Local. Should the same process fix it?

I went to make the hidden files visible, it made the DLL that it used visible, I deleted that, however the .exe itself still isn't visible(which is weird).

Would removing the DLL stop the process?

Message was edited by: Nathan_Archer on 2/20/10 3:33:21 PM CST
            • 3. Re: How to remove a hidden file?
              Peter M

It should.

• 4. Re: How to remove a hidden file?

I went to run and typed in "%local%" and "local" and an error message

"Windows cannot find '%local%'. Make sure you typed in the name correctly and try again."

What am I doing wrong?

The virus still remains... I think maybe a portion of it, I haven't had a pop up since, but some spyware warning from McAfee comes up whenever I open a new tab or internet explorer.

Message was edited by: Nathan_Archer on 2/20/10 3:47:41 PM CST
                • 5. Re: How to remove a hidden file?
                  Peter M

The word is temp, not local.

• 6. Re: How to remove a hidden file?

No, that was a typo above(My bad), the file location was Local, I tried to remember the file's location off of the top of my head and said Temp... but its actually local, and searching local in run doesn't work, so what should I do?

• 7. Re: How to remove a hidden file?
                      Peter M

I'm afraid I don't understand.  I never once mentioned "local", only "temp" so why are you typing in "local"?

If you mean the file's location is temp then I am telling you to clean out your temporary folders - where it sits.

It would appear that you have some malware that is altering words here so perhaps you should try running McAfee VirusScan in Safe Mode first.

Tap F8 while booting up and then select Safe Mode.

Go to My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista/Windows 7) and right-click the hard drive and select "Scan".

Let it run.  All you will see is an extra taskbar icon.  Hover over it to get a progress report.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/02/10 5:09:12 EST PM
                      • 8. Re: How to remove a hidden file?

I originally said the file is located at C:\Users\Nathan\AppData\Temp\av.exe however, that wasn't where it was located, its actually located C:\Users\Nathan\AppData\Local\av.exe... I tried to remember the location off of the top of my head and it was wrong, the file's location is not in temp, it is in Local. Its not altering words, it was just my error in remembering the file. I already scanned it with McAfee and it wasn't detected, that's why I came here.

I've opened the properties of the av.exe, and it had read-only checked and hidden checked, however, the 'hidden' option was unchangable...

I cannot reveal it, so how am I to go about deleting it?

• 9. Re: How to remove a hidden file?
                          Peter M

If you have Vista or Windows 7 run Windows Defender too after updating it.

Sorry I misunderstood you there, I did amend the above post.

1 2 Previous Next