2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 1:08 PM by Dinz

I  have a trojan virus that McAfee does not detect

I have a trojan virus that McAfee does not detect. I've updated my Security Suite and run a full Virus Scan twice, and it finds nothing. I think what I have is called a sinowal trojan. When I try to log in to Ebay or certain financial websites, I am redirected to a page asking for a lot of personal information. Is there anyway to get help from McAfee for this virus? Can't they update their virus protection to address it?

• 1. Re: I  have a trojan virus that McAfee does not detect
          k3tg

I have found in the past this online virus scan program to be very helpful in identifying and removing malware. You can download it for free at the following web site www.eset.com/onlinescan/       

You may also want to consider running Superantispyware www.superantispyware.com and MalwareBytes www.malwarebytes.org  both of these are also free. Just follow the directions and hope for the best.

Good Luck,

Tom

• 2. Re: I  have a trojan virus that McAfee does not detect
            Dinz

Hi marys235,

It should be new variant, which outbroke recently. Please follow the below steps and submit the file to Mcafee labs so that they research on it and they would get back to you.

• WebImmune: You can directly upload individual files to McAfee's automated systems. When you submit a sample through http://WebImmune.net, you will be asked to provide information about your operating system, the Anti-Virus product you are using, and any additional information about the files that you are submitting. Filling out this information as completely as possible will assist Avert in processing your sample quickly.

If you have an individual file to submit, log on to
            http://webimmune.net and click Scan A File, then browse to the location of the file.

If you have multiple files to submit, use WinZip or a similar file compression utility to create a .ZIP archive. The archive must be less than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, you must password-protect the archive with the password infected. Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

*Email: All files submitted via email must be packaged in a .ZIP archive. The archive must be less than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, you must password-protect the archive with the password infected. Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

NOTE: If you are submitting a Spyware sample, the subject of the email must be MAS Content.

Email submissions should be sent to
            virus_research@avertlabs.com. If you submit a sample via email, include the additional information below to help speed the sample review process:

• A list of all files contained in the sample submission, including a brief description of where or how the files were found.
            • What symptoms cause you to suspect that your computer is infected.
            • Whether any products detected a virus or spyware (version number, company, virus/spyware name given).
            • Your McAfee Product information (Product, Engine and DAT versions).
            • System details that may be relevant (Operating System, Service Packs).
            • Your name, company name, phone number and email address if possible.

Regards,

Dinesh K