5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 7:15 AM by bhautik

Upgrade SafeBoot 4.2  to 5.2.1

bhautik

Is it recomended to do direct client upgrade from SafeBoot 4.2 to EEPC 5.2.1 ???

Curruntly manager is running on EEM 5.1.9 however the clients are still on 4.2 ...

I have tested the direct upgrate SafeBoot 4.2 to EEPC 5.2.1 & results were normal but not sure if it is recomend to implement in production environment.

• 1. Re: Upgrade SafeBoot 4.2  to 5.2.1

sure? I'm not sure what interim step you would suggest?

• 2. Re: Upgrade SafeBoot 4.2  to 5.2.1

There is official McAfee document related to 4.2 to 5.2.x migration. I do not see a reason why that would not work properly.

"Endpoint Encryption Update and Migration Guide.pdf"

• 3. Re: Upgrade SafeBoot 4.2  to 5.2.1
              bhautik

I have tried the following ;

Case 1:

Upgrade EEM 5.1.9 to EEM 5.2.1

Plugged in the database which has SafeBoot 4.2 objects

Able to lgin in to manage with 4.2 credential & also able to find the objects

Created 5.2.1 install set & installed it on 4.2 machine

After rebooting first boot synch was sucess, the client was upgraded from 4.2 to 5.2.1. The user group was imported & files were upgraded.

After rebooting able to login EEPC 5.2.1 client with Old credential.

Case 2 :

Change the file group one of the SafeBoot 4.2 machine to 5.2.1 file set.

Synchronised from the client, new file set was downloaded & the existing file set was upgraded to 5.2.1

After reboot system tray icon chaged & synch was successful

Login to EEPC 5.2.1 clietn was possible.

In both the above mention cases password & machine recovery using challenge response code worked.

Whatever changes that were done either on machine or user object in the console reflected after synch.

What I would like to know is if this can be implemented on live databse which has more that 10k machines running on 4.2 version & does McAfee support this.

• 4. Re: Upgrade SafeBoot 4.2  to 5.2.1

You should not run install set created with 5.x client on machine with 4.2 client running.

Just perform file-set change (from 4.2 to 5.x) and let client upgrate itself on synch.

New 5.x install-set should be deployed to clients, which have no encryption product installed.

• 5. Re: Upgrade SafeBoot 4.2  to 5.2.1
                  bhautik

thanks lot & noted all your points..