5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 2:01 PM by Peter M

Update?,Update?,Update?,Update?

Sicnarf

Do I understand it correctly that the only way to control the incessant Updates...(.every 4 hours?..

is to turn "Automatic Updates" off?

Is there no way to set a time frame,as you can for scanning?

Thanks

Sicnarf

• 1. Re: Update?,Update?,Update?,Update?

Hi,

Check the date and time, if it is not correct, correct it and restart the computer

What is the type of Operating system you have ? (windows xp/Windows Vista/Windows 7)

What is the type of internet connection you have ? (Cable/DSL/Dial-up/Wireless/Satellite)

Open mcafee check whether it says Am I protected?YES (or) Am I protected?No (or) Your Computer is secure (or) Your Computer is at risk

Get back to us with the above details, we will guide you.

WITH REGARDS

YOGA

• 2. Re: Update?,Update?,Update?,Update?
            Peter M

McAfee SecurityCenter polls for updates every 4 hours silently, but usually only physically updates once per day.

You can alter the settings for updates but you cannot tell it to only check at a certain time.

It would help if we knew exactly what version you actually have by posting a screen shot perhaps?

Or, if 2009 version, dounle-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter and then click About at the lower right-hand corner to read the version numbers.

If 2010 version , double-click the taskbar icon to open and then click Navigation at top right, then click About.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/02/10 6:05:55 EST AM
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Update?,Update?,Update?,Update?
              Sicnarf

Yoga,

Date and time were O.K.  Running WinXP-SP3. Cable service.

When I open McAfee I get gray box with a bright green band across it ,with a large check-mark, Your computer is secure (no action required.)

is this what you wanted?

Sic

• 4. Re: Update?,Update?,Update?,Update?
                Sicnarf

Ex-Brit,

Thank you for the info. Apparently I have 2010?

Followed your advice for finding  2010 and it worked . Found the "About" ,(which in my haste I had previuosly missed) and it told me I have Ver 10, which I assume is "2010" even though my box says 2009?

Is there any way to shut-up the "polling" feature  ?

I notice when I refuse the  request a second time it then gives me a choice to limit the request up to 2 days. But, when I start my machine the next day we're back to the every four hour requests. It appears the 2 day request only works if you leave your machine on all the time?

Thanks again

Sicnarf

• 5. Re: Update?,Update?,Update?,Update?
                  Peter M

Sicnarf wrote:

Ex-Brit,

Thank you for the info. Apparently I have 2010?

Followed your advice for finding  2010 and it worked . Found the "About" ,(which in my haste I had previuosly missed) and it told me I have Ver 10, which I assume is "2010" even though my box says 2009?

Is there any way to shut-up the "polling" feature  ?

I notice when I refuse the  request a second time it then gives me a choice to limit the request up to 2 days. But, when I start my machine the next day we're back to the every four hour requests. It appears the 2 day request only works if you leave your machine on all the time?

Thanks again

Sicnarf

Yes you have the 2010 product.  Everyone with a current subscription will update to it anyway.

As far as I know, and Yoga may be able to clarify the issue, you can't turn off the polling and yes, if you tell it to wait it will startup at next reboot.

It shouldn't be an issue as very little data is exchanged - it's just checking to see if any updates are present on the servers, important these days with all the myriad new threats that appear daily.