2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 10:10 AM by notenuf

McAfee and VirusTotal

notenuf

I have viruses that are determined on Virustotal by mcafee+artemis, but at my home McAfee 2010 they are not detected by artemis. (one file is detected as infection on virustotal however, the same file is not detected as infection at my home). Active Protection is ON and works! but not all viruses....

how does that mean? who cheat?

• 1. Re: McAfee and VirusTotal
          anandd

Hi notenuf,

McAfee(R) Artemis detection provides real-time protection that secures enterprises and consumers from threats as they strike and much quicker than traditional signatures can be deployed.

The possible reason that you are not seing the detection at home might be because the sensitivity level might be set to low.

Artemis detections take place only if the scanning sensitivity is set to high or very-high levels. please do the changes and do a scan once again and let us know if you are able to see the Artemis detection.

If you are having any problems in adjusting the sensitivity level, please contact technical support (details below).

Even after adjusting the levels, if you are not able to see the Atemis detection, please send us the file in a password protected zip format and also the Virustotal link.

If you are having problems password-protecting the file(s), here are  some brief instructions for creating a password-protected zip file for WinZip.
          If you have different software or if you need further instructions, please consult technical support of the archiving software you have.

WinZip is available for download at www.winzip.com

1) Create a new zip file
          2) In WinZip, choose Options, then Password, then type the password  "infected"
          3) Place your infected files in the Zip file
          4) Close the archive and send it to Virus_Research@avertlabs.com with the description of the file.
          If you're using WinZIP you can tell if the files have been  password-protected because there will be a plus-sign at the end of the filename (i.e. "filename.exe+").

Single User/Retail Customers:
          <http://service.mcafee.com/default.aspx>
          For Home Users, customers can call to 1-866-622-3911 to reach Technical Support.

Regards,

Anand

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAfee and VirusTotal
            notenuf

I turned to technical support, but could not finish the session, because they had to install the english language pack for OS. And now i can't run "Go To Assist" - error "session arguments are missing" ((((

Could you describe how to adjust the sensibility of Artemis in HOME product McAfee Total Protection (virus scan 14.0.306) ?? This requires changing the registry entries ? please HELP !!