4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 3:07 PM by runcmd

TurboTax

The agency I work for uses VirusScan Enterprise on all local workstations.  Are there any known issues concerning users having TurboTax installed on their machines?  I support three Guardianship Workers that are going to be filing taxes for the wards of the state, and various articles I read indicate that McAfee should be disabled.  I understand it to be Firewall, not VirusScan, but I feel the need to be confident that by keeping the DAT updates run these users will not have VirusScan Enterprise, TurboTax combo issues when efiling, and when I run TT updates.

Thanks for your input.

• 1. Re: TurboTax

Never seen or heard of any issue specific to TurboTax (speaking from MFE T3 Support).

Regards,

Redouane

• 2. Re: TurboTax
            rmetzger

Janier,

Years ago (5 or more), I found the need to exclude qbupdate.exe, which was Intuit's QuickBooks Updater, for performance reasons. It would constantly check for updates and it opened itself in Write mode. This would cause VSE to scan the file, but the file was locked, and it would cause severe performance problems.

I do not know if Intuit is doing anything like this anymore, but I would check for a running process like this that can be traced back to TurboTax. Scan it and IF you experience performance issues, try excluding it from the On-access Scan.

Alternatively, you can turn off the update program, thereby eliminating that process from causing issues. Though, you may want to perform periodic manual checks for TurboTax updates, just in case.

Thanks, and good luck.

Ron Metzger

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: TurboTax

this is what we did last year. and will do this year.  We frown on giving users admin authority.  I am hoping they will not need it to efile.  I have put that question on the TT forum.  It hasn't been answered yet.

Thanks for your response. JB

• 4. Re: TurboTax
                runcmd

Butigli wrote:

We frown on giving users admin authority.  I am hoping they will not need it to efile.  I have put that question on the TT forum.  It hasn't been answered yet.

My organization is not using TurboTax but we also do not allow our end users to have local admin privileges.  If TurboTax wants local admin for the user, in troubleshooting other applications that have not worked as a normal users (and having those vendors tell me that their application requires local admin for the user) I have sometimes been able to work around it by determining what file/folder or registry key the program is choking on using ProcMon...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

If you run into that issue, ProcMon may be something you want to look at if you have not done so in the past.