2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2010 3:09 PM by Gun1

Generic PUP.z!ca

Hello,

I've got since some days the trojan "Generic PUP.z!ca" but McAfee can't delete it.

What can I do? When I can expact a solution from McAfee itself?

Gun1

• 1. Re: Generic PUP.z!ca
          anandd

Hi Gun1,

the detection Generic PUP.z!ca is generally given for files which are classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs.

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) are not virus/trojan because they do not self replicate. They could be commercial products or any piece of software which a reasonably security-or privacy-minded computer user may want to be informed of.

For more information please visit the following link:  http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_150020.htm

We call a file or a program as Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)  because we think that the program/file could be used for malicious purposes as well, although it is not necessary always and could be a legitimate application/program. You could go ahead and delete the file manually which is getting detected as Generic PUP.z!ca if you are not using that appliaction/program.

Regards,

Anand

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Generic PUP.z!ca

Hi Anand,

thank you very much for your answer, that calms down. Even so I have deleted the program.

Gun1