3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 1:14 PM by Dinz

Virtual memory???

Sicnarf

Just installed McAfee Internet Security 2009.......yes I know it's 2010....I'm just a procrastenator.

After I installed, and all seemed to be going well, I randomly get messages as I am surfing to the effect "...not enough virtual memory..."

never have seen that before.....installing McAfee.

I checked my windoze and it is supposed to handle the virtual memory ....what might be wrong

and what do I need to do to remedy this?

I also ran the "Virtual Technician" and it said nothing was wrong?

Thanks

Sicnarf

• 1. Re: Virtual memory???
          Dinz

Hi Sicnarf,

This problem is mostly seen in computers that do not have a required amount of physical memory.Virtual memory, also known as a page file or swap file, is a file on your hard drive (C:\pagefile.sys by default) that Windows and applications use in addition to physical memory (RAM) as needed.

Could you please provide me the following infomation so that I could provide you some information on this,

What is the operating system you use ?

How old is the computer ?

Right click on my computer and let me know the size of RAM ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 2. Re: Virtual memory???
            Sicnarf

I have 768 MB Ram, with a 1.24GHz Sempron CPU running WinXP SP3. The machine is about 4 years old.

Also can you tell me how to find the "version" of McAffe that I am running?

Thanks

Sicnarf

• 3. Re: Virtual memory???
              Dinz

Hi Sicnarf,

You can increase the size of your page file if there is space available on the hard disk.
              *Logon as an Admin, hold down the Windows logo key and press Pause/Break to open System Properties. Click the Advanced Tab. In the *Performance section click Settings. Click Advanced Tab again.
              *In Virtual Memory section click Change. Choose the appropriate drive in the first window. Below that choose Custom Size and increase the value in the Maximum Size(MB) box.
              * Click set, ok, and then restart your computer

Regards,

Dinesh K