Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
9817 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2010 9:59 AM by rmetzger RSS 1 2 Previous Next
ksamir Newcomer 42 posts since
Feb 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 9, 2010 4:54 AM

How to enable Auto Updates for SuperDAT file

Hiii,

May you please help me find How to enable Automatic Update for SuperDAT file instead of manual download,

Here my Scenario:

From SECURITY UPDATES i download the latest sdat5885.exe in addition to update.ini  files.

Moreover, from resperatory updates i am downloading URL path from: update.nai.com/Products/commonupdater

and Replication UNC path: ( \\ServerName\Shared_Folder) with port = 80

Download credentials( Anonymous) and  Replication credentials ( Domain )  are both valid

Waiting your support as soon as possible,

Thanks for your coopertion.

Attachments:
  • JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    1. Feb 9, 2010 5:06 AM (in response to ksamir)
    Re: How to enable Auto Updates for SuperDAT file

This is not possible, I'm afraid - there is no automated mechanism for downloading superdats.

Regards -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

Sep 11, 2009
    3. Feb 9, 2010 5:15 AM (in response to ksamir)

Sorry, I think you have misunderstood. This is not possible: there is no automated mechanism.

Regards -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• Attila Polinger Veteran 1,161 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    4. Feb 9, 2010 5:22 AM (in response to ksamir)

Hi,

not sure entirely of your intention, but as for ePO master repositroy update, it seems you can use selective updating to download the superdat. Edit your ePO server task (Automation) which controls the master repository pull and in step Actions you can choose Seleced packages under Package types, press Select packages button and check the Superdat checkbox.

This downloads the superdat to the master repository.

This might - just might - allow you setting another checkbox under the client update task in Package types\Selected packages\Select packages button (there might be here a new checkbox for the superdat. We do not download superdat to master repository, so this second statement is a theory only.)

It is worth a try.

Attila

Sep 11, 2009

Er - unfortunately that's not correct. The superdat package is not posted to the commonupdater download sites.

The option you describe would download a superdat package if one were present in the source repository - so if you were pulling from a source controlled by another ePO server that had a superdat checked in, then it would work - but the original poster is (I believe) looking for a way to automatically download the superdat each day from McAfee.

Regards -

Joe

Sep 11, 2009
    7. Feb 9, 2010 8:39 AM (in response to ksamir)

As I've said, I'm afraid there is no way to do this in ePO. You will need to find another method - a scheduled batch job using command-line ftp or wget, for example.

Regards -

Joe

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    9. Feb 10, 2010 2:32 PM (in response to ksamir)

ksamir wrote:

do you think it is usefull to try it from mcafeehttp: update.nai.com/Products/commonupdater

friends i need a solution not a problem

For the SDATxxxx.exe file, try:

http://download.nai.com/products/licensed/superdat/english/intel

Within that directory will reside the SDATxxxx.exe file. xxxx will change day to day, and 'todays' version can be found by parsing another file:

http://update.nai.com/products/commonupdater/gdeltaavv.ini.

gdeltaavv.ini will list the current production release of the SDAT file. The first 4 lines look something like this:

[Contents]
    LastIncremental=1382
    Created=Sat Feb 06 11:11:04 2010
    CurrentVersion=5884

Where CurrentVersion lists the latest SDAT file that can be found, that was Created on the previous line.

Like Joe Bidgood said, you can use wget to retrieve these files, though I use cURL. In any case, you will need to code your own batch file and then figure out how to schedule it to run 'automatically.'

First, download gdeltaavv.ini, parse it for the current version, then download the sdat file.

A snippet of batch file code to parse gdeltaavv.ini:

for /F "usebackq skip=2 delims== tokens=1,2*" %%m in (`Find /I "CurrentVersion" gdeltaavv.ini`) do set Curr=%%n

Now, %Curr% should contain the value of the SDat file. Note: This line requires Windows 2000 and above and assumes that gdeltaavv.ini is in the current directory.

Ok, you are now ready to download the SDAT file. Whether you use cURL or wget is entirely up to you. Please read the documentation of each product and decide for yourself how you want to proceed. I will leave this coding to you.

I usually check to see if I have already downloaded this file prior to downloading it again. No need in wasting Internet bandwidth.

Post back how you are doing and with any questions.

Have fun,

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 2/9/10 3:52:35 PM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: rmetzger (removed link to commonupdater2 as this does not currently provide gdeltaavv.ini.) on 2/10/10 3:32:32 PM GMT-05:00
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points