5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2010 10:02 PM by rmetzger

I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?

Hi,

Anytime I open the microsoft outlook I have the attached messages:

Header 1
      C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100207082146.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20090713163057.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100201220902.dll

I had installed and reinstalled three time the mcaffe and deleted and reinstalled the outlook..

Any help how can I remove the three messages?
      Many tahnks on advanced,

Inigo

Moved provisionally to VirusScan Enterprise as definitely not Consumer product.. Moderator

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/02/10 9:14:14 EST PM
        • 1. Re: I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?
          rmetzger

b00010136 wrote:

Hi,

Anytime I open the microsoft outlook I have the attached messages:

Header 1
          C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100207082146.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20090713163057.dll

C/ Program Files/ Mcaffee/ Managed Virus Scan/otlkUI.20100201220902.dll

I had installed and reinstalled three time the mcaffe and deleted and reinstalled the outlook..

Any help how can I remove the three messages?
          Many tahnks on advanced,

Inigo

Moved provisionally to VirusScan Enterprise as definitely not Consumer product.. Moderator

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/02/10 9:14:14 EST PM

Not sure if this is the problem, but it could be that you have a file, called Extend.dat that is attempting to launch an add-in that is not running properly.

The simple answer is to delete  Extend.dat files from the 'documents and settings' folders.

Extend.dat  is a 'performance' enhancement used by Outlook to load add-ons without  the need of looking into the registry for loading instructions. When  Outlook is open and you installed the McAfee Outlook Addon, Scanotlk.dll  could not be cleared from Extend.dat. Now, every time Outlook loads it  is using the cached information in Extend.dat to load a now missing  Scanotlk.dll file -- thus the error message.

The good news is  that the Extend.dat file is completely rebuilt if it is deleted. When  Outlook is run the next time, it rebuilds Extend.dat using the settings  in the registry to repopulate the correct information.

This needs  to be done while Outlook is closed. I would suggest doing this from a  login script, which should happen before Outlook is running.

del "%Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Extend.dat"

As  an administrator I use this:
          del /f /s /q "%UserProfile%\..\Extend.Dat"

Hope this helps.
          Ron  Metzger
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?
            dmeier

If removing the extend.dat doesn't help, can you confirm that McAfee is actually mispelled on your system? I'm curious if this is a legit application, or not.

• 3. Re: I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?

Some questions:

What is the exact product name and version of your McAfee software?

What version of outlook are you running and on what OS?

Where do you get these messages exactly?

Regards

• 4. Re: I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?

That was the perfect answer!!!

Great many thanks,

Inigo

El mensaje fue editado por: b00010136 on 19/02/10 12:33:32 CST
                • 5. Re: I am desperate with mcaffe and outlook. Any nice guy to help me with my trouble?
                  rmetzger

Hi Inigo,

Great, glad to help.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger