4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 6:43 AM by mcafee_ts-admin

McAfee Enterprise 8.7.0i & McAfee Framework Files and Folders in All Users Profile?

Hi,

Why does Mcafeee Enterprise or the Mcafee Framework Client Store Files / Folders in the All Users Profile?

is this the default location?

From my prospective it makes absolutely no sense to store these files / folders there. espacially in a terminal-server environment.

How can i change this folder location?

• 1. Re: McAfee Enterprise 8.7.0i & McAfee Framework Files and Folders in All Users Profile?
          wwarren

The folder location cannot be moved or specified during a custom installation.

What is the concern for terminal servers? This is not a per user folder.

• 2. Re: McAfee Enterprise 8.7.0i & McAfee Framework Files and Folders in All Users Profile?

hmmm... ok, there is no per User Folder but still.... these files shouldnt be in there.... they should be in programfiles directory... not in the all user profile...

Normally the LUA principle will be applied to every single user who is working on a termninal-server... on a managed terminal-server. Which means the User should always get the least priviliges on the system as possible.

So why should a normal user have write permissions into these folders? or access to these logfiles or executables?

these files should get installed in program files and the users should only have read access to these files / folders.

Only Admins need to have extended permissions to these files.

if you want to know more about LUA i recommend the following article: (should normally also get used in Desktop Environments)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700846.aspx

Message was edited by: mcafee_ts-admin on 2/15/10 4:13:54 AM CST
            • 3. Re: McAfee Enterprise 8.7.0i & McAfee Framework Files and Folders in All Users Profile?

Although I can see where you are coming from this is the default location for application data in Windows. There are several other folders from Microsoft and many other 3rd party apps at the same location. Program Files should be restricted to binary files and not be used to store config and data.

Matt

• 4. Re: McAfee Enterprise 8.7.0i & McAfee Framework Files and Folders in All Users Profile?

hmmm.... i dont agree... since normally only configfiles / logfiles should be located in the %appdata% ... but not in the all users profile...

why should a normal user.... (who has no adminstrative permissions at all) have access to these files?

well i partially agree... you are right with that there are serveral other applications which will store their files in the %appdata% folder... BUT ... in this case these configfiles are only stored for each user seperated... which makes sense... if these files are only configfiles... and also there are no executables.... only config files... and it is like you said: Binaries should be in programfiles and configfiles in appdata.

but i think it makes absolutely no sense to store executables and configfiles for global configuration in the all users profile.

But if this is the default location and the vendor doenst offer the possebilty to change this i have to live with that...