3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 7:26 AM by JoeBidgood

ePO Versions

Is it possible to install a second ePO 4.5 to a network with an existing ePO 3.5 without affecting the 3.5 clients. I have heard that the 3.5 clients will try an update automatically if a 4.5 is on the network. Is this true?

Regards Russ

• 1. Re: ePO Versions
          JoeBidgood

No, that's not true - you would have to deploy the agent from the 4.5 server to the 3.5 clients in order for them to start talking to the 4.5 server. You should be able to run the two servers alongside each other without problems.

(I must point out that 3.5 has been end-of-life for a long time, but I'm sure you know that )

Regards -

Joe

• 2. Re: ePO Versions

Thank you for replying.

Having done some more digging it seems 3.X clients use a different protocol (a McAfee propriety one) to deploy the client. ePO 4.5 uses 443 (SSL)

They should co exist fine. I have confirmed this with McAfee support just now! Regards Russ

• 3. Re: ePO Versions
              JoeBidgood

No problem

Having done some more digging it seems 3.X clients use a different protocol (a McAfee propriety one) to deploy the client. ePO 4.5 uses 443 (SSL)

They should co exist fine. I have confirmed this with McAfee support just now! Regards Russ

For the sake of accuracy, this isn't quite true. The agents use a proprietary protocol called SPIPE to communicate with the server, not to deploy the agents. 3.x / 4.0 agents, and 4.0 and earlier servers, only spoke SPIPE: MA4.5 agents and ePO 4.5 servers speak both SPIPE and SSL.

Regards -

Joe