1 2 3 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 8:34 PM by David87124

Problem with tool drawers on home page

I have windows xp home edition sp 3 and did a complete uninstall of all McAfee products with add remove programs and also use McAfee removal tool. I downloaded McAfee total protection 2010 from USA MY ACCOUNT SITE and can not get all tool drawers to show. I have four showing but no access to pc optimization for shedder and defragmenter and also no drawer for online storage. How do I get these other two drawers to show?

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/7/10 1:47:11 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page
          Peter M

They appear to have been omitted for some unknown reason as I don't have them either.  It has been reported.

I suggest you open a ticket with Technical Support Chat (Top of page - McAfee Support) as it would be interesting to see what their slant on it would be.

• 2. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page

Ex_Brit wrote:

They appear to have been omitted for some unknown reason as I don't have them either.  It has been reported.

I suggest you open a ticket with Technical Support Chat (Top of page - McAfee Support) as it would be interesting to see what their slant on it would be.

Thanks Peter for replying. This was driving me nuts as I saw a photo you posted that showed those 2 other tool drawers. I downloaded and installed two times from my USA my account before downloading the third time:

I did a clean uninstall of all McAfee products per your instructions and even on third download from U.S. site I clicked on custom and left all checkmarks there as those two other items were listed. Same results only four showing so went to Australia site with same results. McAfee is driving me nuts again. This should not be listed if can't install them!! Anyway I now know I am not alone. Would you please run virtual technician on your end to see if it says file is missing on personal firewall? It says this on both U.S. download and the Australia download also. Really think virtual technician is not right. Not the first time it did not have correct info in it.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/7/10 2:44:03 PM CST
            • 3. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page
              Peter M

Not sure which picture you refer to but that could have been the one I had of my beta version.  The actual final version I have on my spare Vista boot, where I have just gone, is from the Aussie servers and is Total Protection minus Parental Controls and Anti-Spam, neither of which I have any use for.

I have no utilities in SecurityCenter at all as far as I can see, unlike the beta version.  I ran MVT and it found no faults.

I will run it again as I see MSC just updated and is asking for a reboot, darn it.  I'll get back to you.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/02/10 4:35:31 EST PM
              • 4. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page
                Peter M

Ok ran it again and it fixed 2 registry entries involving SecurityCenter (as shown) but no other issues and no utilities have miraculously appeared either.

Capture.JPG

• 5. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page

Peter on the products page in U.S.A. website shows 2010 total protection non beta version is supposed to have the Data Protection and Backup plus PC Optimization drawers as shown in their screenshots. Also as I said under custom install those items show up to be included in install when checked. McAfee still makes me flaming mad!. To much uninstall and reinstalling to end up where you were when 1st starting.  They keep screwing us home users over and it should not be listed in download if not installed. Or they should tell us it will be included in a later update maybe. They are NOT handling this well at all for a supposedly nunmber 1 anti virus company. Sorry for venting but this is getting to be quite disturbing and time consuming to get things right.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/7/10 4:18:36 PM CST
                  • 6. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page
                    Peter M

Well we were told that Data Backup has been replaced by Online Backup, with unlimited storage.  Personally I wouldn't use it as you really need a fast connection to take advantage of it and even though mine is supposed to be 10mbps, it took forever when I tried it.   I realize I shouldn't be knocking it but I sometimes wonder if they ever think in real-world terms.

The tools are missing in action in my installation as I mentioned earlier so I have no Quickclean, etc, not that it matters as Windows has the same tools built in anyway.

I am making this (once again) a major item on the agenda for our conference call on Monday afternoon.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/02/10 6:33:56 EST PM
                    • 7. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page
                      Peter M

Am on the conference call and the PC Optimization tools missing issue has been filed as a bug.     Hopefully will be fixed through an update a.s.a.p.

Data Backup is only Online Backup now.

1gb Free in Internet Security Suite

2gb Free in Total Protection

Unlimited storage in the standalone (purchased seperately) version.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/02/10 4:42:07 EST PM
                      • 8. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page

Ex_Brit wrote:

Am on the conference call and the PC Optimization tools missing issue has been filed as a bug.     Hopefully will be fixed through an update a.s.a.p.

Data Backup is only Online Backup now.

1gb Free in Internet Security Suite

2gb Free in Total Protection

Unlimited storage in the standalone (purchased seperately) version.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/02/10 4:42:07 EST PM

Hi Peter wanted to let you know at 11:45am today got dat update plus all 6 protection drawers are showing now here in Ohio. Under pc optimization said quickclean and shedder are available so downloaded them and they installed ok. Under data protection and backup said online storage available so downloaded it ok but it would not install. Said to install again which I did 4 times with no install or run MVT which showed nothing pertaining to online storage problem. Also shredder in 2010 version sucks as there is no way to delete individual files that won't delete under normal deletion in windows. Only allows you to delete entire folders so that is not what I want. Now I have to run shedder in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to delete locked files. Why did McAfee change this so can not delete locked files without deleting all content in folders?

Jerry

• 9. Re: Problem with tool drawers on home page
                          Peter M

Yes I just got that update too.  I have no idea why Shredder is limited in scope.  I guess they figure it's not too important.

I'll pass back these comments.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/02/10 8:28:18 EST PM
                          1 2 3 Previous Next