4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 9:44 AM by captdave

How do I get rid of "newdev.dll" virus?

I have the basic home version of McAfee and it tells me I have one or more problems that could not be fixed because of an error. The Windows errors I get are: "error loading newdev.dll" and "%1 is not a valid WIN32 application".

• 1. Re: How do I get rid of "newdev.dll" virus?

Hello,

Please provide more details about the issue you're facing. Has the file "newdev.dll" been detected as a virus ? If yes, what's the virus name ? What engine/dat number are you using?  Have you noted any suspicious behavior on a system where this file has been run?  If so, what? Any additional information would assist us in researching this question further.

Regards,

Patty Ammirabile
          McAfee Labs

• 2. Re: How do I get rid of "newdev.dll" virus?

Patty,

Thanks for getting back.  I needed to find a person more litterate than myself to help answer your questions.

Q: Has the file "newdev.dll" been detected as a virus?

A:  Actually, I might have mis-spoke when I called it a virus.  I "Googled" newdev.dll and got several hits from sites saying "free newdev.dll virus removal" which wanted to sell me a virus removal program (not free).  That is the only reason I thought it might be a virus.  I have no other reason to suspect I have a virus, nor if there even is a such a thing as newdev.dll virus.

Q: What engine/dat number are you using?

A:  5301.4018/5854.0000   created 1/7/2010

Q: Have you noticed any suspicious behavior.....

A: I have no idea what this file is, nor what it does.  The only suspicious behavior I've noted is that the computer ran slower and slower as time progressed, and when I tried to restore it to a previous date, I was told no restore dates were available.

Q: Any additional info?

A: The computer with the problem and the McAfee program is a laptop and goes through a wireless router to the internet, vs. the desktop computer which is hooked directly to the modem.  Therefore, the laptop isn't used that much on the internet because the desktop is much faster.

Thanks for your help.  

• 3. Re: How do I get rid of "newdev.dll" virus?
              anandd

Hi captdave,

As i can see from the below message, i suppose you have not updated your DATs. Our current DAT is 5891 which is released today.

Please update it to 5891 and then do a full system scan and let us know the results.

Also you could send the "newdev.dll" file to us for further review. You can find detailed instructions for how to do this at <http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx>

You can send the file in a password protected zip format(password- infected).

Here are  some brief instructions for creating a password-protected zip file for WinZip.    WinZip is available for download at www.winzip.com

1) Create a new zip file
              2) In WinZip, choose Options, then Password, then type the password  "infected"
              3) Place your infected files in the Zip file
              4) Close the archive and send it to Virus_Research@avertlabs.com with the description of the file.

If you're using WinZIP you can tell if the files have been  password-protected because there will be a plus-sign at the end of the filename (i.e. "filename.exe+").

Regards,

Anand

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I get rid of "newdev.dll" virus?

Anand,

Thank you for your help.  Sorry it took so long, but my computer would just not run.  I finally bought an adapter where I took the hard drive out of my infected laptop, and can view the files from my desktop.  I have a copy of the files now, but the process for submitting them sounds very diffacult (e.g. buying Winzip program).  In an earlier message Patricia said I needed to update my McAfee program with the latest DAT something. Now that I have access to my McAfee program, how do I tell it to run and update?

Thanks,

Captdave (Dave)