6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2010 4:44 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

Creating exceptions in the McAfee firewall

I need to create an exception for CompanionLink in my McAfee firewall. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Creating exceptions in the McAfee firewall
          Ex_Brit

Assuming this is the 2009 Consumer version we are discussing.

Normally  you'd get a pop-up alert asking you if you want to allow a program  access or not.  If you haven't and it's already installed you can add it  to firewall permissions.

Double-click the taskbar icon  to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click  Configure (left)

Click Internet & Network (top left)

Click  Advanced (right)

Click Program Permissions (left)

Add  or adjust permissions in the right-hand panel.

• 2. Re: Creating exceptions in the McAfee firewall

I don't see a Security Center - all that comes up is the Virus Scan Console.  I can also bring up On-Access Scan and On-Demand Scan.  In the Virus Scan Console, my options are:

Access Protection;

Buffer Overflow Protection;

On-Delivery Email Scanner;

Unwanted Programs Policy;

On-Access Scanner;

Quarantine Manager Policy;

Full Scan;

New Scan 100125;

AutoUpdate.

I check my build date - don't remember the exact date, but the year was 2009.

• 3. Re: Creating exceptions in the McAfee firewall
              Ex_Brit

This sounds like you have Enterprise (Business) product which I have no knowledge of.  Is it possible to post a screen image or clip of that coinsole please? Whose firewall are you using?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/02/10 4:35:10 EST PM
              • 4. Re: Creating exceptions in the McAfee firewall

screenshot, McAfee console.jpg

Here's the screenshot, and I also attached the JPG file because I assume the resolution in the posted pic isn't good enough to be useful.  I know that Windows Firewall is active, but I have no idea about McAfee's firewall (what it's called, how to find out about it, and how to create exceptions in it).

• 5. Re: Creating exceptions in the McAfee firewall
                  Ex_Brit

I'll get back to you on this - after I check with my McAfee colleagues.

• 6. Re: Creating exceptions in the McAfee firewall
                    Ex_Brit

Moved to VSE.

I am told the following.  Doesn't make much sense to me but maybe it does to you.

Other than that there is support available as per your support portal.

that product is Virusscan Enterprise(VSE),

it doesnt have a Firewall but it has 'Access Protection' which can block stuff like a firewall can to an extent...

so if its VSE, then its gotta be the Access protection(AP).

they can  right click on AP, and do view log, go to the bottom and see if its AP blocking their application, if not then its not VSE

if so, then the details will tell him  what rule, category is doing it to what file, and he can use that info to make an exception...