1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 12:42 AM by bhautik

Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

bhautik

Successfully tested the client upgradation with the help of  EEPC script that run from client side. This script run on specific group (which mention in script) by changing the file group of Client files to 4.2 to newer version client files (5.1.9) . If this group envirnment is mix mode (4.2 & 5.1.9 clients) then it will change the file group of all machine of that group (if its 4.2 or 5.1.9) .

So how can I go ahead .. it will effect my 5.1.9 environment ?

Please share your views.......

• 1. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

Can you post script content? It is not clear if file-group is updated on one machine object, all machines in the group or just group properties.

• 2. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

There is a demo script that does this already, you can get it via platinum support I think.

but a mixed 4/5 machine group should not be a problem.

• 3. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

why are you upgrading to 5.1.x? It would be better to upgrade to 5.2.x at least?

• 4. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9
                bhautik

Ya , u r right ... but we have already upgrade our all servers to 5.1.9. so first w'll go through 5.1.9 & then move to 5.2.x.

Actually from my testing when I run the script (sbadmcl command) from any client to upgrade (here I mention group name in sbadmcl command). so it will upgrade all the machines from this group. But my problem is if this group contains mix envirnment (4.2 & 5.1.9) then as per this command it will change the client file group of each n every machine (within this group) so it gives any imapct on my existing 5.1.9 machines ????

PLease advise...

• 5. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

Existing 5.1.9 Clients should have that fileset already, so changing fileset to the same fileset should not cause problems there.

But post that script so we can review it. From the fact that group keyword is there, I cannot advise much. on 2/4/10 7:19:07 AM EST
                  • 6. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9
                    bhautik

Oops sorry I missed that on previous comment .... command as below ,

sbadmcl.exe -command:SetMachineFileGroups -group:TestingMaachines -file:SBADMCL.ini -adminuser:sbadmin -adminpwd:12345

Contains of SBADMCL.INI file ;

[FileGroups]
                    ; if this option is set to "Yes" all current file groups are removed
                    before
                    processing the files in this section. Otherwise, the groups specified
                    here are
                    combined with the existing groups.
                    RemoveExisting=No
                    ; All entries that start with a "+" specify file groups that should be
                    added
                    to the machine(s) if they are not already present. You can have any
                    string
                    after the "+".
                    +SomeFileGroup=EEPC51: Endpoint Encryption 5.1.9 Client Files
                    +AnotherFileGroup=EEPC51 LANG: German (PreBoot, German/Swiss Keyboard)
                    ; All entries that start with a "-" specify file groups that should be
                    removed
                    from the machine(s) if they are present. You can have any string after
                    the '-'.
                    ;
                    -UnwantedFiles=Safeboot 4.2 Client files
                    -MoreUnwantedFiles=Even More Useless Files

And there is no controlled group funda also.

Message was edited by: bhautik on 2/4/10 6:58:00 AM CST
                    • 7. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

That should be good, but unless that group is small, I would rather perform fileset update on each machine in small batches.

Keep in mind that client upgrade is a sensitive task and unforunately it occurs silently, so user is oblivious to ongoing process. Abrupt reboot or shutdown during upgrade process could reneder PC inaccessible. Also, massive upgrade to many clients, can overwhelm server and cause client communication problems.

• 8. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9
                        bhautik

Okkk...

But I have huge database approxx 20 k (User + Machine ) & u can say that each group have atleaset 500 machines..

So please suggest which is the easier way to upgrade ... from Server itself (But here again force synch issue from Server to client coz its 4.2 ).....

Or from Client side....

• 9. Re: Client upgradation - 4.2 to 5.1.9

As I have said, I would run script on the server but updating relatively small number of machines at each time. I would then monitor situation and release more batches as machines upgrade successfuly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          1 2 Previous Next