Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
42874 Views 45 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 9:29 AM by secured2k RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Newcomer 10 posts since
Feb 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2010 6:19 AM

Help: how do I remove "XP Antivirus pro 2010"

Hi i am a newbie to all this virus stuff   (but forced to learn!)

What is the process for removing a virus that McAfee cannot find?

I've just bought this Software on Sunday in the hope it would remove the Virus but still no luck?

I know that the program name in taskmanager is av.exe! but cannot find it on my computer?

So, What do I do now?

steve

PS. On Sunday I also downloaded Microsoft's Virus Removal software which failed. I already had AVG Virus protection Software which did not work.

last night:  I downloaded "Malwarebytes'  Anti-Malware" and managed to get it running from MSDOS but it did not find the problem.

I also ran a stinger in report mode only (was mentioned on this forum)  but it did not find the virus (attached) ?

Attachments:
  • SamSwift Group Leader 651 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    2. Feb 3, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to stev)
    Re: Help: how do I remove "XP Antivirus pro 2010"

Hi,

I've checked the notes on the submissions and can see that an extra.dat file was sent out last night - please could you confirm you have received this?

Thanks,

Sam

• SamSwift Group Leader 651 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    4. Feb 3, 2010 10:07 AM (in response to SamSwift)

Patty's looking at the files for you at the moment. Two came back clean but the other looks very much liek a fakealert.

Sam

• McAfee Mentor 83 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    6. Feb 3, 2010 1:51 PM (in response to stev)

Sam, thanks for your update on this !

Hello Steve, we analysed the files you submitted and a detection for the file AV.EXE has been added, as follows:

Apoint.exe ... is OK.
    atiptaxx.exe ... is OK.
    av.exe ... Found the FakeAlert-LV trojan !!!

A response has been sent to your email address, according to the Analysis ID 5780169.

Best Regards,

Patty Ammirabile
    McAfee Labs

• Newcomer 4 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    9. Feb 6, 2010 10:45 PM (in response to stev)

Hey guys, I had this problem today myself.

A window popped up and proceeded to run a "scan" of my drive and showed me about 4 dozen infections, which are no doubt bogus.

Regrettably I had McAfee disabled for the last few days ( I write online games and every new exe compile causes McAfee to complain ).   I re-enabled it and it killed the process av.exe, but it left my system in a hosed state where none of my desktop shortcuts worked.  I found the fix ( apparently the trojan turns EXE into an unassociated file type )

What I'm wondering here, if McAfee could give me some feedback here, is whether they know what the trojan DOES.  Is this a key-logger, password stealer or simply an extortion racket designed to get people to pay for bogus virus removal?

- Bob

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points