Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
211058 Views 548 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2012 2:44 PM by Peacekeeper RSS Branched to a new discussion. 1 2 3 ... 55 Previous Next
Newcomer 5 posts since
Feb 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2010 8:16 PM

McSvHost.exe cripples my PC

I'm running the latest version of Mcafee Security Center. After the January 19, 2010 update, the process  McSvHost.exe (which is actually a McAfee process) randomly fluctuates from up to 50% of my processor time to 0%. Once this happens (usually after a few hours of the PC being booted up), it cannot be stopped unless I temporarily disable my wireless network adapter. Apart from it being annoying, it also has a very real impact on my PC's video rendering capabilities, causing uncontrollable stutter in video playback, gaming and every other graphics-intensive process.

A friend of mine has the same problem, only in his case, the McSvHost.exe process starts taking up 50% of CPU immediately after boot-up. Both PCs run WinXP SP3 Professional, with 3GB Ram and fairly new (less than two years) CPUs and even newer GPUs.

I hope this is resolved ASAP, as I am really disappointed that it's been now almost two weeks this has been happening and I am tempted to switch to another security program, that doesn't actually crash my computer.

• nitrofc54 Newcomer 12 posts since
    Nov 4, 2007
    1. Feb 1, 2010 9:25 PM (in response to mcafee123)
    Re: McSvHost.exe cripples my PC

IaM ALSO HAVEING the same problem,i accidently posted in the 2009 internet security. Mine goes from 0% to 100% cpu useage from bootup( bouncing between that cpu useage amount)'unless' i kill that sevice!Problem started same time as you mentioned! I have a socket 939 AMD dual core cpu and video playback is erratic as well as playing games! Im useing a Gigabyte K8ns-ultra MB 2gb memory OCZ brand,XP Home with SP3 installed! I am useing a Nvidia 7950 GT VIDEO CARD WITH 512 MB ofonboard memory!

I also hope a 'resolution' is found to this problem,i am visually disabled and my computer is very important to my world.

Any idea what the heck this service is for? Since i can 'end process' through task manager( takes 3 times to make sure it doesnt pop back up) and as far as i have seen all the normal services are running normally,scanners,firewall,real time scanning, not sure about'updates' though. Says that'all is ok' in the main screen.

Message was edited by: nitrofc54 on 2/1/10 9:19:33 PM GMT-06:00

Message was edited by: nitrofc54 on 2/1/10 9:24:29 PM GMT-06:00

Message was edited by: nitrofc54 on 2/1/10 9:25:15 PM GMT-06:00
  • BigJ Apprentice 167 posts since
    Apr 9, 2006
    2. Feb 2, 2010 1:34 AM (in response to mcafee123)

mcafee123 wrote:

I'm running the latest version of Mcafee Security Center. After the January 19, 2010 update, the process  McSvHost.exe (which is actually a McAfee process) randomly fluctuates from up to 50% of my processor time to 0%. Once this happens (usually after a few hours of the PC being booted up), it cannot be stopped unless I temporarily disable my wireless network adapter. Apart from it being annoying, it also has a very real impact on my PC's video rendering capabilities, causing uncontrollable stutter in video playback, gaming and every other graphics-intensive process.

A friend of mine has the same problem, only in his case, the McSvHost.exe process starts taking up 50% of CPU immediately after boot-up. Both PCs run WinXP SP3 Professional, with 3GB Ram and fairly new (less than two years) CPUs and even newer GPUs.

I hope this is resolved ASAP, as I am really disappointed that it's been now almost two weeks this has been happening and I am tempted to switch to another security program, that doesn't actually crash my computer.

I had the same problem when I downloaded the 2010 version from austrailia McAfee site. My cpu was running around 50% or higher on this process so I redownloaded 2009 version from United States site. Why does that process make my computer kick into high fan speed? Seems McAfee is making alot of problems for us home users. Hope they correct this issue before putting 2010 version on US site,

Jerry

• BigJ Apprentice 167 posts since
    Apr 9, 2006
    3. Feb 2, 2010 9:41 AM (in response to BigJ)

BigJ wrote:

mcafee123 wrote:

I had the same problem when I downloaded the 2010 version from austrailia McAfee site. My cpu was running around 50% or higher on this process so I redownloaded 2009 version from United States site. Why does that process make my computer kick into high fan speed? Seems McAfee is making alot of problems for us home users. Hope they correct this issue before putting 2010 version on US site,

Jerry

Doesn't anybody know what this exe is for? It is not anywhere in task manager in processes running in McAfee Total Protection 2009 but is in the 2010 version. This needs to be checked out by McAfee why this process uses so much CPU. Really seems newer products from McAfee are getting worse each new version released.. I am running windows XP Home edition sp 3 with latest updates installed.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/2/10 9:41:46 AM CST
    Nov 4, 2007
    5. Feb 2, 2010 8:08 PM (in response to mcafee123)

Well i guess then the'download from website' is the currupted version then? I used the 2010 install disk to 'reinstall' McAfee and it goofed up the online AFTER the online update! Took my pc half a day to complete a scan of 2 80 GB hardrives! Ill agree it BEYOND FUBAR FOR THIS  kind of service. No reply's from mcafee yet on this thread,what kind of support are they thinking? Seems strange they KNEW about this'flaw' back in 2009 and basically DID NOTHING to correct it????  Seems quite strange indeeed

WE NEED A FIX MCAFEE NOT AN EXCUSE!

I cant afford a new prgram from another manufacturer or company,i paid for a working 'correctly' program,not a half baked update that screws things up!

• Dinz Master 3,223 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    7. Feb 5, 2010 5:29 AM (in response to mcafee123)

Hi mcafee123,

May I know whether the computer had any recent changes like a hardrive reformat or a system restore, or any malware infection in the past ?

Also try to run a full scan with mcafee and check whether it detects any Potentially unwanted programs.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Dinesh
    Ex Community Admin
    Nov 4, 2007
    9. Feb 5, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to mcafee123)

Interestingly i guess im not worthy of a responce?

Doesnt matter i guess as so far the'new updated' McSvHost.exe' ISNT causing the cpu to go'bonkers'. Ihave been monitoring that part of the day! So thankfully it 'might' be fixed on my machine. So thanks for a'reply' at least to someone on this issue.

1 2 3 ... 55 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (6)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points