7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2010 6:44 AM by rameshk

machines in blank column of EPO

we have a site whr we are getting abt 500 machines in blank. Evenafter updation and those machine are reinstalled and checked, but the problem still continues. we had found that most of the machines in epo (4.0) has been updated with the lastest DAT file. Can anyone have solution for this issue based in their exp in thr environment??

Message was edited by: SRK on 2/1/10 9:14:33 AM CST
        • 1. Re: machines in blank column of EPO
          RMCCULLO

Can you attach a screenshot of what you are seeing? Or explain in greater detail what you mean by blank columns?

• 2. Re: machines in blank column of EPO

Hi Ryan,

Hope u can able to get the issue i had attached the screenshot in wich the blue column, thr are about 302 machines in blank.But i had tested with some of the machines by deploying the agent with force installation over existing version. so those machines are working fineand getting properly updated. So i can do for rest of the machines??? is it advisable??

Blank.JPG

Warm Regards

Ramesh

Message was edited by: Rameshk on 2/11/10 5:29:22 AM CST
            • 3. Re: machines in blank column of EPO
              ittech

You migh thave to upgrade the McAfee Agent on those machines. I had a similar problem in ePO 4.5 and when I installed the machine with Agent 4.5 my issues were resolved.

• 4. Re: machines in blank column of EPO
                runcmd

I have a couple of clients that show no DAT version--but 2 is far from 302.  When I look at the agent activity log, they indicate "Agent failed to communicate with ePO Server".  I think the problem is client side--at least in my case.

I've seen some weird things in other reports, too.  I have two clients that report into the ePO as having an engine version of "%%NewEngineVersion%%".  One needs to be looked at because it shows no engine in the Help/About in VSE on the client.  The other, strangely, shows as having the correct engine of 5400 in Help/About.

I suspect that my problems are client side and that these computers are forwarding garbage values to the ePO.  Following up on these machines is on my list of "things to do".  The 302 count that you have seems a bit high.  Have you spot checked any of the clients to determine exactly what DAT they have and if the are communicating with the ePO properly?

• 5. Re: machines in blank column of EPO
                  RMCCULLO

This most likely it's a VSE patch installation issue. Let me explain:

When the VSE installer attempts to install, it first sets the PluginFlag on the local machine to a status that lets the agent know it is still installing. When the install is complete it should reset this status back. Problem is it doesn't always work, or its waiting on a reboot.

Take a look at a few of these machines, and see what the value of the following reg key is...

HKLM-Software-Network Associates-ePolicy Orchestrator-Application Plugins-VIRUSCANXXXX-Plugin Flag = ?

If the status is not 0 then most likely a reinstall of VSE will need to be done, alternatively you can set the status to 0, but if the patch installer runs again it will most likely fail on the same spot and cause the issue to re-occur.

FYI: the reason I think it is this issue, is that once the plugin flag is set to an install status, then the properties for that machine are no longer updated (for that one product). And this causes things like you are seeing in the reports. As the information was there at one point, its just the last ASCI from the machine attempted to update a table it had no data for.

• 6. Re: machines in blank column of EPO

It may be what Ryan suggested but I'm curious as to whether you have HIPS installed on these machines?  We have seen many machines report back blank information when they have a corrupted HIPS install.

Andrew

• 7. Re: machines in blank column of EPO

No we have not installed HIPS on that machines.But i had tested with some of the machines by deploying the agent with force installation over existing version. so those machines are working fineand getting properly updated. So i can do for rest of the machines??? is it advisable??