6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 2:33 PM by Gr11zzly

Security Essencials and virtual Technician not recogning McAfee programs

I downloaded Total Security yesterday.  I had been running  Microsoft's Security Essencials along with CA Sercuity Suite.  Should I continue to run this program, or does the McAfee product make it unnecessary.  In the process of hunting for an answer to this question, I came across the McAfee Virtual Technician and decided to download it as a check to see if everything had downloaded sucessfully.  The Virtual Technician states it cannot any any McAfee product on my computer.  Do I need to reinstall?

• 1. Re: Security Essencials and virtual Technician not recogning McAfee programs
          Dinz

Hi Purflame,

It is always suggested not to run one or more antivirus software at the same time as they would have conflicts. Since you have mcafee, its more than enough for the computer's security . And when you try to run MVT with McAfee products installed it is possible that MVT will report products are not found. The logic used to detect if products are present is dependent on Microsoft scripting.

Follow the below steps and check the status of MVT

1.Click Start, Run, type CMD, and press ENTER.

NOTE: Windows Vista/7 users must click the Windows orb, type CMD in the Search box, right-click CMD, and select Run As Administrator.

2.Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and press ENTER.

3.Click OK.

4.Type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press ENTER.

5.Click OK.

6.Try MVT again from http://mvt.mcafee.com and do report back if you have issues

Thanks,

Dinesh K

• 2. Re: Security Essencials and virtual Technician not recogning McAfee programs

Hi,

Thank you for replying.  I removed Security Essencials.  The McAfee Security Suite 2010 appears to be functioning well.  I did follow the steps suggested, I received a message that it was successful, however when I ran the Virtual Technician it again told me that I do not have a McAfee product installed.

Purflame

• 3. Re: Security Essencials and virtual Technician not recogning McAfee programs
              Dinz

Hey Purflame,

Glad that your security center is functioning well and regarding the MVT ; support for those products might not be added it would be resolve if we update MVT. And for that can you please send me the mvt log results from this location C:\Documents and settings\”your name”\Application Data\McAfee\Supportability\MVT logs\Results along with those logs through my private message and I shall get back to you after an update.

Regards,

Dinesh K

on 2/11/10 2:23:32 PM GMT-06:00
              • 4. Re: Security Essencials and virtual Technician not recogning McAfee programs

Great tool---NOT.

With McAfee virus scan plus running Virtual technician tells me I have no McAfee products installed??

I  have a suspicion that it has to be installed in the same program files  folder to work.  haven't had time to prove or disprove.  64 bit machines  use two folders to differntiate between 64 bit and 32 bit programs.  DMsetup uses one for the virus scanner and Virtual technician uses the  other as default.

Its cost me most of the day so far and i'm not happy since I haven't even got to looking for the initial problem!!

• 5. Re: Security Essencials and virtual Technician not recogning McAfee programs
                  Dinz

Hi,

Could you please provide us with the following details ; so as we could find why MVT was unable to detect the installed McAfee products;

Security center version

Aff id - The one below security center version

Thanks

• 6. Re: Security Essencials and virtual Technician not recogning McAfee programs

mcshell.exe

File version 10.5.177.0

Product version 10.5.0.0

Thats about all that's installed in the 'program files (x86)' folder

There is a lot more McAfee stuff in the 64 bit program folder.

Bit pointless trying to sort this out now since everything is operational now and the tracks have most likely been obliterated.

I bought a recovery disc with my last renewal to avoid having to download the 150MB file that constitutes the McAfee installation.  I began with anew machine, removed microsoft security essentials and installed the CD McAfee product. It prevented one of my aps from accessing the web so i went in to add the ap as an exception to the firewall. The home screen on the antivirus plus product showed the firewall was on but when I navigated to the firewall settings it showed the firewall as off.

Uninstalled everything reinstalled fronm a download downloaded MVT and ran it whereapon it told me I had NO McAfee product.  I could understand it says there was no functioning product but I sat there with the product running.

Too late to diagnose now since ts all working and given the useless nature of the online support I had to back off and have now recovered.  Not at all impressed with the interface or the support.

Mark it as done---wasted a whole day on this and not puttinhg in more time doing QA for the company