8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 4:27 PM by SafeBoot

Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

Does anyone officialy know the new features and updates for the next release of Files and Folders?

Such as.....

Will there be a CD/DVD burning utlilty that will have the password/recovery functionality of MEE for Removable Media?

Will the password prompts during Files and Folders synchronization be eliminated?

What date will it be released?

• 1. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

At least a Release Notes rough draft? Will there be a Beta version to test? Are there any Sales Engineers out there with a little information?

• 2. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

We are a public company, so you can assume by the fact that there's no official info, that we're not yet ready to say anything ;-)

It's not like we're trying to hid things from you, we just have rules we have to follow. A more interesting conversation would be for you to tell us what features you'd like to see and why. Not all things are possible though.

For example, your Encrypted CD with EERM would be difficult in the extreme - remember, CD's are not block media, they are streamed, so you can't just write a file to a CD - it needs to go through some application, be compiled into an ISO stream then written to the disk. Getting in the middle of that process either involves encrypting the stream (as we do now), or being part of the process which compiles the stream.

To do what you ask, we'd probably have to write our own cd-authoring tool, not too hard I guess, but would you want to use it? 

• 3. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

A McAfee CD authoring tool would be nice. The tool could encrypt and password protect the CD/DVD all at once. The encrypted CD/DVD could be read by a person outside the organization (via password) and there would be no need for the self-extractor. There is another Endpoint Encryption vendor that provides this but the encryption process can be bypassed through using Roxio, Nero, ect., The McAfee CD/DVD suthoring tool would need to enforce protection to other burning applications.

• 4. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?
                safebootsamurai

I'd love to see a McAfee Encrypted CD/DVD Burning tool. Now if only you could put in a feature that prevented someone with a sharpie from writing the password on the disk we would be in buisness.

• 5. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

I vote for an authoring tool as well, however, I know the ability to just burn an .iso file is pretty important to our support folks. (Like burning the SafeTech CD!!)

• 6. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

I have a suggestion.  In Bit-Locker-To-Go there is an option that you can set where when you plug a device into the port you get the option to encrypt or not encrypt.  If you choose not to encrypt the drive becomes read only, so the drive is readable but you can't write to it or copy documents off of it.  This would prevent users from accidently encrypting their IPod or a contractor who brings in a personal thumb drive getting it encrypted. At this time anything and everything gets encrypted - well i have not tested any of my personal items but I am not given the choice not to encrypt.

If this is an available feature please tell me where I can enable it.

Edited to add that we are on EEFF V322.

Message was edited by: ESB on 2/2/10 4:08:06 PM GMT-06:00
                    • 7. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

you mean with USB Sticks? If so it's already there - if you cancel converting a stick to encrypted, it will be come read only. "Make Unprotected files/folders read only" is the option in the EERM settings of EEFF.

With CD's, the best you can do it implement EERM on them so you have to mount the container, the same as for sticks. BUT, it does not get around the fact that the CD creation has to be through a unique interface - this is not something that can be "hooked" into 3rd party burning applications - they simply don't offer any interface to do such, and, the interface at the OS level is the block write (which we already have).

• 8. Re: Features and updates for Files and Folders next release?

SafeBoot wrote:

you mean with USB Sticks? If so it's already there - if you cancel converting a stick to encrypted, it will be come read only. "Make Unprotected files/folders read only" is the option in the EERM settings of EEFF.

With CD's, the best you can do it implement EERM on them so you have to mount the container, the same as for sticks. BUT, it does not get around the fact that the CD creation has to be through a unique interface - this is not something that can be "hooked" into 3rd party burning applications - they simply don't offer any interface to do such, and, the interface at the OS level is the block write (which we already have).

Great!!  I'm gong to give it a test and see if this is what we are looking for.  I had assumed Safeboot would have this feature available but could not locate the check box that would make it happen.

Message was edited by: ESB on 2/2/10 4:58:49 PM GMT-06:00