1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 11:56 AM by nkelly

Getting spam looking as if it's from my own email address

Does anyone have hits problem? Mine began around a month ago. I have gotten 6 or 7 of these. They are trying to sell medicines, (like the mojority of spam I receive). Usually, I can go to "view source" and copy the return email address, then copy the domain (if it's unique enough) with an asterisk in front of it - or the email itself, and paste it into my email filter.

But these show as coming from MY EMAIL!! Very frustrating. Any ideas of what I can do? I have scanned my system, and McCfee shows no malware on it, so I'm left with the question..

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

• 1. Re: Getting spam looking as if it's from my own email address
          nkelly

Hi,

It's quite common for spammers to fake the senders email address, and it doesn't mean that the spam was sent from your computer.

SMTP is an open email format and any email address can be used as the sender address. As you mention, the return email address is the address that will be used for any replies and this could be added to your blacklist / unwanted mail filter to prevent messages with the same return address from being recieved in the future.

A spam filter such as the one included with McAfee Internet Security should be able to block this type of spam automatically and prevent it from being received.

Regards,

Nick

Nick Kelly

McAfee Labs