8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 2:31 PM by mwilke

    EEPC v6 - Patch 1

    davei

      I have read several suggestions that a patch 1 for EEPC v6 will appear some time in the next few months.  One post suggested June, another suggested February.

       

      I have budget to buy a full disk encryption product that works properly for 500 laptops.

       

      I have to have spent this money by April when our financial year ends - otherwise i lose it.

       

      Management are expecting me to implement FDE by the end of financial year.

       

      I have been waiting for EEPC v6 specifically for it's integration into ePO.  I use ePO for several other McAfee products (and have genuinely been a very happy customer for 7 years now i should add).

       

      EEPC v6 in it's current incarnation is unusable in our environment - it has bricked all but two of the test PCs, and this morning decided to brick my own laptop and one of my sysadmins after we accidentally (and coincidentally!) let our laptops 'sleep' over night - Dell XPS M1530, Win7 32 bit, same error at PBA "EE050014 - File Access Error".  EETech useless, won't emergency boot, won't remove EE, won't replace original MBR - on either of the machines, using standalone or BartPE-integrated versions.

       

      Unfortunately we just cannot pursue this proudct any further until we can see what fixes are implemented i P1 and decide whether it is more usable.  Far too risky based on results of a month's trial.  If EETech worked every time then perhaps things would be slightly different - but it doesn't.

       

      So my question is - is Patch 1 likely to emerge before April and the end of my financial year?  And if so, is there any information available yet as to which issues will be addressed?

       

      Personally i don't want to look at someone else eg. PGP or pointsec\checkpoint.  i want integration into ePO.  But my business needs FDE now.

       

      Just for the record there is no threat or nastiness here, i am a very happy Mcafee customer and my license fee for 500 seats is peanuts to McAfee, so don't get me wrong.  I am just in a difficult position as frankly, in our Dell environment anyway, my experience of this product so far is far from positive.

       

      Thanks

       

      Dave

        • 1. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1

          I wouldn't bet on Patch 1 to make product production ready. Especially if you are time constrained. Get EEPC 5.2.x version with provision to upgrade free to 6.x when is stable enough. Or wait longer, if you can.

          • 2. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1
            davei

            Thanks Peter sounds like good advice.

             

            Frustrating how the channel partners, resellers, and basically anyone who can make a penny out of selling on Mcafee products have been telling us about v6 and it's epo integration, "yeah wait for that definitely, it will be out before xmas etc. etc.".

             

            I don't wish to stoop to the level of some posters, but it really does niggle me that this product is not "production ready".  Frustrating to say the least.  Fully understand it is version 1.0.0, all software has to start somewhere, etc etc.  but why is this not still in beta?  How did it ever get out of beta?  Glad i am on eval though and haven't shelled out any £££££.

             

            Anyway - will keep plodding on trying to recover our machines here so we can rip this stuff off.

             

            As a business, i'm sure buying 5.2 with a promise of free upgrade to 6 when product is stable (who decides when it is stable?) would be an acceptable arrangement.

             

            As the admin who, like all you guys is underpaid, over worked, under staffed, under technologied, etc.  ie. too damn busy to be messing around learning v5.2, testing, learning it's nuances, deploying, supporting, training.  Then only to do the same again in a few months when v6 is "stable".  That really REALLY turns me right off.  This quarter, on top of this FDE project, i also have to learn and implement on my own vmware vSphere with SAN-SAN repl, SRM, full works.  (lucky me - i love it really).

             

            Point is - i'm busy like everyone else.  Don't know what i'll do now, management want their FDE by April, but also want their shiny new vmware\storage\DR plans running too so the shareholders are happy.  What's a lonely admin to do?  I need more staff...... :-(

             

            Good luck Mcafee and EEPC team - and thank you sooo much for allowing an eval :-)  Hopefully i will be back in a few months when things are a little more polished.

            • 3. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1

              Welcome to reality. Unfortunately it is you, who decides if product X is stable enough to run in your environment. If you cannot spend enough time testing, then someone else would have to. I didn't expect 6.0.0 to be production ready, because nowadays it is impossible. Limited QA, commited release schedules and other factors dictate that. The only alternative is to take enormous risk to implement untested product, or to pay a lot to have someone else doing it for you (still but less risk). Personally, I would wait for at least version 6.1.x or 6.2.x if you don't have time testing all intermediate releases/patches....

              • 4. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1
                davei

                Reality indeed.

                 

                My expectations were clearly unreasonable....

                 

                All the best to everyone.

                • 5. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1

                  Not unreasonable expectations at all, davei. I fully agree with you, especially regarding the beta aspect. I have had to cancel a proposed v6 PBA implenetation for one of our healthcare groups and go back to v5. Time contrained as well due to regulatory implementation time. Two weeks work wasted on my part, not to mention the time required to update our dev environment to ePO 4.5 P1, etc.

                  • 6. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1

                    Davei -

                     

                    Be aware that there doesn't appear to be an upgrade path from the version 5.x to version 6.0 ... At least this was the case in December, and don't think it has changed. We're having all kinds of issues with the version 6 client as well. Slowly working with McAfee support as well....

                     

                    In addition, Windows 7 support appears to be only with the version 6 ...

                     

                    ~Bob

                     

                     

                    Message was edited by: BiffoME on 2/4/10 11:39:41 AM GMT-05:00
                    • 7. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1

                      BiffoME wrote:

                       

                      Davei -

                       

                      Be aware that there doesn't appear to be an upgrade path from the version 5.x to version 6.0 ... At least this was the case in December, and don't think it has changed. We're having all kinds of issues with the version 6 client as well. Slowly working with McAfee support as well....

                       

                      In addition, Windows 7 support appears to be only with the version 6 ...

                       

                      ~Bob

                       

                       

                      Message was edited by: BiffoME on 2/4/10 11:39:41 AM GMT-05:00

                       

                      v5.2.1 added support for Windows 7 almost immediately after its RTW.

                      • 8. Re: EEPC v6 - Patch 1
                        mwilke

                        There is no upgrade path from 5.x to 6.0

                         

                        But, starting with v6.1 there is an upgrade tool that will upgrade version 5.1.7 and higher to the new v6.1