0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2010 1:38 PM by Mslacat

Google Hijack

I am not sure if this is the correct thread/group. If this is not the correct forum or if this subject has been covered else where please let me know, but finding information for me on this site is like looking for needle in a hay stack.

I have what is refered to as the Google Hijack virus

It is opperating in both my Firefox Browser (where it sends me to random sites) and Internet Explorer (where it sends me to some x-rated sites)

I have the latest build and updated 3-user Total Protection (as of two days ago)

I also have Spybot and Malwarebytes completely updated.

I have run McAfee and the other two programs to try to clean my system but I still have the infection(s)

McAfee on quick scan will not find anything, but on full scan finds infection.  Spybot shows my system clean.  When I run McAfee and Malwarebytes it will find and clear infections.  If I run a McAfee scan right after another McAfee scan the second time it will come out clean.  If I wait a period of time (like 4-6 hours) and then run the second scan the second scan will come up positive again.  The same pattern applies to Malwarebyte.

If I run a McAfee scan that is positive and then follow it up with a Malwarebytes scan (or visa versa) both times they will come up positive.

Once I run a McAfee scan and clean, if I pull up Google, I will about 3-6 normal Google search clicks but after that the virus kicks in again.

Additionally about 3 times a day McAfee alerts me to a threat by something known as "PrcViewer"  It asks me what to do.  click on remove.  McAfee comes back with a alert that it will attempt to remove, some other things may happen, then it comes back and says it was successfully removed.

To run a full McAfee scan it takes over 6 hours.  Malwarebytes 4 hours.  This is getting real old.  Can McAfee fix this problem?  Am I doing something wrong.