8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 10:17 AM by Proteo

McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .

McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc, please assist.

• 1. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .
          smalldog

Did you update to Patch 2 for VirusScan Enterprise?

• 2. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .

Thanks bulldog for replying to my question.

Not sure how to check whether our ePO Server Virus Scan is running what Patches; may you please guide me on that so that I can be able to make sure that is running on Patch 2.

I'm still new to McAfee environment especially ePO Server and McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise; and please advise me futher where to get the best guide on how to adminstrate the ePO server. Already I've got the document on ePO Server 4.0 but still It doesn't give much information for me.

Thanks once again.

SamuelM

Message was edited by: SamuelM on 1/27/10 2:59:13 AM CST
            • 3. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .
              smalldog

On client click about VirusScan Enterprise to check patch 2 installed or Not. See image attach

• 4. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .

On Access Scan on V8.7 Patch2 is killing the PC performance. Simply by disabling on access scan you can feel the difference. Really, while opening a program without the on access scan takes seconds, with OAS activated it takes minutes and bump the CPU usage to 80-100%. I now keep OAS disabled most of the time, wich is not that safe.

Andrea

Messaggio modificato da Proteo on 29/01/10 4.43.20 GMT-06:00
                • 5. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .
                  runcmd

Is the problem all the time or only when you launch a particular application?  If you open the On-Access Scan Statistics and launch the application in question, is the on-access scanner hanging on a particular file?  Does the OnAccessScanLog.txt show anything timing out on a scan (or any other issues)?  If it's a single application that's having a problem with VirusScan, can you try configuring the program executable or the application folder as an on-access scan exclusion?  If that works, it would be better than disabling OAS.  Many applications provide recommended antivirus file exclusions in their documentation.

• 6. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .

I understand that: when using an application wich is a single .exe, OAS doesn't affect the application performance (not much i guess). When I use some OpenSource software, i really need to deactivate it since it will scan every single .jar in lib folder (i.e. when using Pentaho BI, when launching an MySQL instance or Apache, when using Talend Open Studio or Eclipse etc.).

Tha real problem in all of these applications is that they use tons of files while starting, and also while running, so keeping OAS active while using them is simply impossible. I may take some time to work on OAS exclusions.

Thanks for tip.

Andrea

• 7. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .
                      runcmd

You wouldn't want to exclude the scanning of all JARs but, one thing you could try is configuring the OAS to scan JAR files on write but not on read...  Then you're scanning them at the time they are placed on the disk but not every time they're read.  If that helps, it would still be better than switching off the OAS.  Sorry if that's not particularly helpful.

• 8. Re: McAfee 8.7 Virus Scan Engine slows down the pc .

Not at all, your tips are useful to me, since I've never taken into account the VirusScan management. I've often left the properties at default, so now I'm facing a problem I've always goofed off.

I will try to set the OAS as you advised and see how things change.

Thanks again,

Andrea