5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2010 6:01 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

When do new software versions roll out for OEM consumers?

Hi, all:

I noticed that some folks are receiving the new GUI (with new software version, too?) with their routine updates these days.

And others have specifically gone out to the Australian servers for the 2010 package.

My system runs an OEM package from Dell purchased 12/2009, rather than a "boxed"/standalone suite.

Currently running:

SC 9.15.160

VS 13.15.113

PF/AS/PC 10.15.106

Since my subscription is renewed through 04/2011, I assume I will be offered package updates to the new versions at some point?

Will it come in as a routine update (perhaps requiring at least a reboot to fully install), or will it require a formal uninstall old/clean/reinstall new?

Thanks!

MM

• 1. Re: When do new software versions roll out for OEM consumers?
          Ex_Brit

There's no knowing when Dell will release their 2010 version as this is entirely up to them.  In the past they haven't been too far behind the direct customers.   It is starting to be released, albeit slowly, later this week.

• 2. Re: When do new software versions roll out for OEM consumers?

Ex_Brit wrote:

There's no knowing when Dell will release their 2010 version as this is entirely up to them.  In the past they haven't been too far behind the direct customers.   It is starting to be released, albeit slowly, later this week.

Hi, Peter:

Hmmmm, so the new version will be pushed out from Dell?

I wonder how that works...

I guess I'll get a system alert or something?

I guess I assumed that it would actually come from McAfee, but you are probably right.  I hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps I'll call or email them to see.

Aside from McAfee, I didn't have much OEM software on this (I get my MS Office from my University employer for $40, rather than $400, for example).

Also, I assume that when folks are seeing the new GUI that it means they also have the new software?

Or is it just a GUI update?

Thanks!

MM

• 3. Re: When do new software versions roll out for OEM consumers?
              Ex_Brit

The new GUI comes with the new product - it's totally different from the old one.

Yes, if you get your protection from your ISP or computer maker such as Comcast, Dell, AOL etc. etc. it's their decision when to release it as they often repackage it.

• 4. Re: When do new software versions roll out for OEM consumers?

Ex_Brit wrote:

The new GUI comes with the new product - it's totally different from the old one.

That's what I thought -- I suspect some users noticed the new GUI, but not that it was a new version.

Yes, if you get your protection from your ISP or computer maker such as Comcast, Dell, AOL etc. etc. it's their decision when to release it as they often repackage it.

Hmmmmmm, well, that makes sense. But, after an unsatisfying and unhelpful live chat with Dell, here's what Dell Premium Phone support said:

1) Yes, they claim my OEM McAfee is the same as the retail (I'm not sure that's correct; if it is, then not all components are installed).  (It may be a version of MSC, but it's not MIS?)

2) NO, Dell does NOT provide major version upgrades to their customers whose systems run OEM McAfee (or any other) security suite -- they insist it's up to McAfee to upgrade me, b/c my subscription is with McAfee.

3) They have no clue HOW/WHERE I would/could/should get the 2010 version, but they do sell a retail version through their software store, or they suggested that it should be McAfee that provides it to me as part of my current subscription (or I could purchase it directly from McAfee or anywhere else for that matter).

4) Either way, whether I get 2010 as an auto update from McAfee, OR get by purchasing it from McAfee or other retail, OR get it by purchasing it retail from Dell, that Dell will continue to support it (to the extent that it at least won't void my support contract).

So, what did I just pay $50 to "renew" - a subscription to what is now outdated McAfee SC?

Assuming that Dell will "support it" no matter what, and assuming that I will NOT be given a 2010 upgrade from Dell (that's their story and they're stickin' with it), WHERE and HOW do I get it, and do I have to pay again (having just shelled out for renewal)???

Sorry to be cantankerous, Peter.

I sure trust your advice.

Just having trouble reconciling your explanation with the one from Dell.

Ever confused,

MM

• 5. Re: When do new software versions roll out for OEM consumers?
                  Ex_Brit

You wont get any satisfaction from Dell (or any ISP/OEM provider for that matter) - this has been hashed out in the forums over the years and the answer is always the same.   They says it's up to McAfee   They will get the new version along with everyone else and it will happen when it happens, then they re-label it as Dell/McAfee or whatever, which often seems to take an inordinately long time, and sometimes bits and pieces are removed, but not always.  We can't say when all this will happen as we simply do not know.

Your subscription that you just paid for is what matters....anyone with a valid subscription will get the upgrade,.... when it happens.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/01/10 7:01:50 EST AM