1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 8:28 AM by Mike

Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

Hello,

Are there any documentation how-to setup a VLAN capable switch together with McAfee UTM series. I want to achive more network segments then there are physical ports on the device.

In this case I have tree additional external IPadresses (aliases) where I want to adress tree diffrent VLAN (on a swithc) with different services on the LAN side of SG560 device with 4.0.6, I want for an example use port A4 as transport to the VLAN capable switch.

Under Network I create three tagged VLAN that I assign VLAN id 100,101 and 102, called VLAN0, VLAN1 & VLAN2

I configure them with static IP adress like 192.168.100.1, 192.168.101.1 and 192.168.102.1 as zone DMZ

I have setup three additinal DHCP server serving these VLAN0, VLAN1 and VLAN2

I define under services "vlan0 server" is 192.168.100.10 and etc.

I have packetfilter rules like VLAN0 (web), Accept, Forward, Any, Any, Any, Vlan0 Server, HTTP and etc

I have NAT rule like vlan0 (web), Any, Any, Alias xx.xx.xx.10x (Port B), HTTP, Vlan0 Server, Unchanged and etc

I connect a cable from port A4 on UTM device to P1 on Switch (in this case a Netgear GS748T)

On the switch I will setup I have created 3 VLAN, each VLAN consist of two  physical ports, on each VLAN I have P1 and another port to corresponding VLAN  (like P1 & P2, P1 & P3, P1 & P4,etc) on thise ports P2, P3, P4 I have the corresping VLAN tag 100,101 and 102.

Would this create a scenario were all servers on corresponging VLAN on switch will have an incomming HTTP access, and by default as it is defined as a DMZ zone standard rules. So the machines on corresponing VLAN only have access to internet and this inbound policy. Ie all IP level routing is done in UTM device.

/benny

• 1. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

Forgive me if I have misunderstood anything.

The UTM support many tagged vlans, but only 16 when port based vlans are enabled as well, FYI.

The DMZ servers will use port forwarding for incoming HTTP/S and yes, with these VLAN's configured as DMZ, their access is restriced to the internet only as per below

From the online help

Firewall Class

The Firewall Class determines the default firewall rules for packets sent or received on a network connection. These default rules can always be overridden using rules defined on the Packet Filtering page. The following describes each firewall class, and the default firewall rules for forwarded packets. Note that some services on the UTM Firewall unit will be accessible even if forwarded packets are dropped by default. For example, VPN services are accessible for any firewall class.

LAN
          Trusted local connection. All packets are accepted by default.
          Internet
          Untrusted Internet connection. All packets are dropped by default.
          DMZ
          Untrusted local connection that provides services accessible from the Internet. Packets from DMZ to Internet connections are accepted, and all other packets are dropped by default. You will normally create Port Forwarding rules to allow packets from Internet to DMZ connections.
          • 2. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

As Ross said, the switch we use on the devices have limits on the number of vlan tags they can track (which they need to if you are doing port-based vlans).

If you need more than a few segments, just leave A1-A4 as a single swtich (don't use port-based vlan) and then start adding vlans to that switch.

Sounds kind of dumb - you just told me not to use vlans then you tell me to add some. The important difference is the 'port-based' bit. By not using port-based

vlans you are leaving the little 4-port switch on the device ignorant of all the vlan tags you are using, so then you don't run into any limits.

Then you can add hundreds. it can of course be scripted...

Each vlan you create like this has its own independent firewall class so you can make it a DMZ, LAN, Internet or Guest.

Important thing to remember in setting up your switch is that you need the uplink (P1 in your example) to be a tagged member of all the vlans (100, 101, 102),

while your other ports need to all be untagged. So that looks a bit like a map with 'T' for tagged and 'U' for untagged

vlan 100 = P1(T), P2(U)

vlan 101 = P1(T), P3(U)

vlan 102 = P1(T), P4(U)

and of course you could add additional ports to the respective vlans.

What then happens is that as the packet leaves the CPU-NIC on its way to the 4-port switch on the device, it gets a 100 tag added (say).

As it arrives at P1 on your netgate its broadcast to all the members of vlan-100 (if its the first arp packet lets say). In your example that is just port P2. As P2 is an 'untagged' port, as the packet leaves P2, the netgate will strip the 100-vlan id off the packet, and then the piece of equipment that is plugged into P2 just sees a plain old ethernet frame that came from 192.168.100.1.

The response from the machine on P2 arrives at P2, gets vlan tag 100 added to it, then is broadcast (or its mac-destination looked up, say its for the mac of 192.168.100.1) goes out P1 with tag-100 firmly in place, back to the NIC on the UTM-CPU, where its correctly associated with the vlan-network-DMZ firewall rules you defined - and that's that.

So this is really handy if you want to partition your 48-port switch (or similar) into a bunch of security zones that have different firewall rules attached to them.

The downside is that you have to remember to keep the netgate switch configuration in sync with the UTM device.

Hope that helps.

Happy vlan'ing.

Cheers

tom

• 3. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

I got a DNSproxy problem instead...

I set up each VLAN logical interface as "tagged" on port A4, and the other port as disabled as they are part of Switch A (A1, A2,A3)

Before I used untagged VLAN for access to a other network in the house (laserprinter and others stuff), this portbased VLAN have static IP, gateway and DNS configured worked as expected.

Normally this DNS entry was added last in the list of DNS servers in the Web UI, so I did take any notice of it (have using this for 3-4 years)

Gateway: 85.225.176.1

DNS: 195.54.122.199, 195.54.122.204, 62.119.89.160

But when I look in the diagnostic, this one 62.119.89.160 defined from VLAN103 seams to be the first one to answer.

Jan 27 09:53:54 dnsmasq[22998]: reading /etc/config/resolv.dnsmasq 
              Jan 27 09:53:54 dnsmasq[22998]: using nameserver 62.119.89.160#53
              Jan 27 09:53:54 dnsmasq[22998]: using nameserver 195.54.122.204#53
              Jan 27 09:53:54 dnsmasq[22998]: using nameserver 195.54.122.199#53

But somhow this DNS server does like me
              Jan 27 09:53:53 dnsmasq[22998]: nameserver 62.119.89.160 refused to do a recursive query

These two other DNS servers is obtained from the DHCP client on Port B, 195.54.122.199, 195.54.122.204 (my internet access)

Perhaps this is uniqe for me, but why is the DNS server specified in other connection then the default gateway listed first?

Message was edited by: BennyT on 1/27/10 4:08:45 AM CST
              • 4. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

There are a couple of things to note here.

First, because you specify port A4, you must have port based VLAN's enabled, and as such you must differentiate then from tagged VLAN's, and you will be limited to 16 in total, as already mentioned.

Secondly, DNS routing has changed...for a reason.

Recently many ISP's are refusing recursive queries from connections that are not their own customers. So the UTM device now sends DNS queries to upstream DNS servers using the specified link ONLY. If you have a DNS server specified across multiple links, all all links will carry traffic to this DNS server.

This should avoid any issues, such as the one you have.

So if I query the DNS server you mentioned in the logs ( and I am not a customer obviously )

rossco@moon:~$ dig @62.119.89.160 mcafee.com mx

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>> @62.119.89.160 mcafee.com mx
                ; (1 server found)
                ;; global options:  printcmd
                ;; Got answer:
                ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 46670
                ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 7, ADDITIONAL: 6
                ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

I also get the same error and get no mx record returned...only ns servers so I can manually redirect my query there.

So to avoid the issue you have, make sure the DNS server 62.119.89.160 is ONLY specified under the link properties that relate to the relevant ISP.

And I would do the same for the other DNS servers you may have specified elsewhere to make sure you don't have other cases of this issue now, or in the future when your ISP disables this feature to non customers.

Message was edited by: Ross Camm on 1/27/10 8:23:01 PM GMT+10:00
                • 5. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

I have only specified 62.119.89.160 as DNS server on that specific VLAN103 link, the other two DNS entrys is something I get from my ISP as I use DHCP client on Port B (WAN)

Neverthenless this DNS 62.119.89.160 is used anyway for traffic that is going out on Port B (WAN) instead of only for traffic heading VLAN103.

I remember this was the same problem when I have multiple ISP, and used DHCP client for two of them, the resolv file was a combined list of booth of them.

/benny

• 6. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

This should still work, even with multiple DHCP clients, as it is not the resolv.conf file that does the magic.

iptables routing does the magic via marks.

To see if it working correctly go to

network setup -> routes -> policy routes

and create a new rule

Type = OUTPUT

Destination Address = 62.119.89.160

Gateway = relevant link

What you put in here will override the magic routing that occurs under the hood and possibly identify if that is the issue

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

Ahh, policy routes. But that gateway was not listed there at all.

policy route.jpg

/benny

• 8. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

I am guessing the firewall class is not 'Internet' on that link.

• 9. Re: Using VLAN with a switch to segment network

No, that for sure. I changed to Internet, and it showed up. Why should not DMZ class interface be visable as well? I understand that this policy route is supposed to be used as a part of failover. However this was easly solved as I set this firewall class as Internet and failover destination as secondary.

The background story is that I have a ADSL connection 20/2 and private IP adress as I only get 5 DHCP assigned IP adresses from my ISP. I share my office with another company that have a SHDSL 2/2 line with a full class C adress, and they don't use NAT at all. My printers and PBX is hosted in thier network. And for me this network is a DMZ. So I want the traffic go strait to them

I added two policy routes then 1) a outgoing DNS policy for thier DNS and 2) forward 62.119.89.0/24 as well through same connection. works as expected.

Still my SG always resolve internet DNS through thier DNS server instead of my ISP DNS as my primary internet connection. Logical I would prefer that it uses my primary DNS servers rather my secondary connection DNS.

Jan 28 08:45:26 dnsmasq[22998]: reading /etc/config/resolv.dnsmasq 
                          Jan 28 08:45:26 dnsmasq[22998]: using nameserver 62.119.89.3#53
                          Jan 28 08:45:26 dnsmasq[22998]: using nameserver 195.54.122.204#53
                          Jan 28 08:45:26 dnsmasq[22998]: using nameserver 195.54.122.199#53

I guess the SG access them in order.

/benny

1 2 Previous Next