3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 11:21 AM by Peter M

UN-install - RE-install, will it reinstall ALL the past downloads?

My computer has become nearly unusable due to a huge McAfee download that will NOT complete, will NOT continue where it left off if interrupted, and cannot be stopped. I'm addressing that in another forum.

I believe my ONLY course of action at this point is to UN-install Security Center and Virus Scan and then RE-install (then set it up NOT to download upgrades and I'll at leasthave the protection at some level). I have 2 questions:

1)will the re-install grab all the downloads I've done over the months and months or will it only re-install the base product as I originally purchased?

2)I've found the uninstall program, but did NOT see the install program. What is the name of the INTALL program?

• 1. Re: UN-install - RE-install, will it reinstall ALL the past downloads?
          Peter M

Enable Windows Firewall as a precaution during the operation. You should use the MCPR removal tool after the normal removal method and reboot immediately when asked to.

That should remove all traces.  You should be prepared for popup warning alerts if you turn off updates.  SecurityCenter checks for updates every 4 hours and downloads them at least once every 24 hours..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/10 8:08:04 EST PM
          • 2. Re: UN-install - RE-install, will it reinstall ALL the past downloads?

Thanks for the help. I've always had MS Firewall turned on but that did give me an idea. When I looked at the MS Firewall settings I found a tab called "exceptions" where I had added Security Center Agent so the firewall woudl allow it to make internet connections. So I unchecked it thinking that after I rebooted, that MS Firewall would now block a connection and I could at least keep Security Center and Virus Scan running at whatever level I have now but not have it connected to the internet eating the system alive trying to download thathuge update.

I still have not explicitly found the Install Program for McAfee Security Center and Virsu Scan nor do I know if I do re-run Install will it reinstall ALL the updates of the years that I have suffered through getting downloaded.

I would also like to know why updates will not pick up where they leave off if interrupted. It seems like it used to work that way as well as I could right click the update icon and pause it to be able to get something done. Not sure what genius figured it was a good idea to get rid of these 2 features.

• 3. Re: UN-install - RE-install, will it reinstall ALL the past downloads?
              Peter M

Updates are supposed to pick up where they leave off but we all know that they don't.  We have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on that issue.

A fresh installation of McAfee will install the latest update, which includes all previous updates of course.  That does not mean, however, that the update included will be as big as all the other updates added together, it doesn't work that way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/01/10 12:21:40 EST PM