1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 8:03 AM by Peter M

Help! Stinger attached to Security Center

At the recommendation of an AOL online technician I downloaded Stinger as a virus apparently was undetected by McAfee and had attached itself to my address book and was sending out IM's pitching commercial products like ringtones to friends. Stinger has now attached itself to McAfee Security Center and I can no longer access it. I spoke with a McAfee technician online, they told me I had to have a virus scan done and directed me to the link which indicates it cost 89.95!!! Help!!! Was told it cannot be uninstalled.

• 1. Re: Help! Stinger attached to Security Center
          Peter M

Assuming Home Products here....

Go to your program list in Control Panel and see if it is listed - uninstall it from there.

If not listed separately try clicking the McAfee SecurityCenter item then the custom uninstall option and see if it is listed there, if so, uninstall.

If that is not possible then first enable Windows Firewall then follow these procedures:

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!

In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/10 9:01:31 EST AM

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/10 9:03:17 EST AM