4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 5:19 AM by x-tabrahams

How to report an error in virus detection by McAfee

We are getting an error in our software for a file, sqlite36_engine.dll.  We are quite certain that there is no Trojan in this file.  No other virus detection software shows that there is a threat in the file.  We have been using the file for a long time with no problem.  After an update with McAfee, it now detects a Trojan.  We believe this is a mistake and it is causing our software business major problems.  How do we report this problem to McAfee?

Thank you for any information.

• 1. Re: How to report an error in virus detection by McAfee
          exbrit

You should submit the file to McAfee.

Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com with the header "False"  (minus the "")

When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

You will receive an autorepsonse followed by a manual one.  If the manual reply is stating that it is infected then reply immediately keeping the header intact disputing it and the file will be tested further.

• 2. Re: How to report an error in virus detection by McAfee
            SamSwift

Please also contact technical support to have a service request logged. If your business is severly impacted then calling support will get you the fastest response.

The phone numbers are listed in the gold support handbook.

Sam

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to report an error in virus detection by McAfee

Thank you very much for the help.  I did submit the offending file.  The automatic return email says that the file appears to not have a virus or trojan.  It also said that it would forward it on to Avert labs for further testing.  That's the last I have heard of it. I have tried finding a good way to contact McAfee but just get automatically linked up to buy a support subscription.   I don't want a support subscription, I want them to fix their software so I can get back to my sales and support business.  McAfee is still triggering reports of a trojan with my customers which causes havoc with my sales and customers.

Because it's been several days now and I have no clue how long this could go on and if I will ever get a reply, I am checking back there to see if there is anything further I can do to get them to fix this.

• 4. Re: How to report an error in virus detection by McAfee

Hi There,

If you contact support using the links below they will be able to create a service request & escalate the submission for analysis -

Corporate Customers:
                <https://support.mcafee.com>

Single User/Retail Customers:
                <http://service.mcafee.com/default.aspx>

Cheers

Tony