2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 2:59 PM by newjack

questions on Artemis trojon

Hello all, I have a question about virus.While i was looking through my recent events i saw under detection-Artemis!3c37c018811(trojan) listed as repaired.I was on a web search when i saw a mcafee pop up.It went away very quickly & i did`nt have time to read it.When i checked events i saw the artimis trojon repaired(removed) the file was C\users\jg\app data\temp\StplqEBX.EXE.part      process- program files x86 firefox exe Can anyone tell me if there is anything else i should do besides a full scan?    Thanks Jack

Message was edited by: newjack on 1/24/10 10:12:09 AM CST
        • 1. Re: questions on Artemis trojon

newjack wrote:

Hello all, I have a question about virus.While i was looking through my recent events i saw under detection-Artemis!3c37c018811(trojan) listed as repaired.I was on a web search when i saw a mcafee pop up.It went away very quickly & i did`nt have time to read it.When i checked events i saw the artimis trojon repaired(removed) the file was C\users\jg\app data\temp\StplqEBX.EXE.part      process- program files x86 firefox exe Can anyone tell me if there is anything else i should do besides a full scan?    Thanks Jack

Message was edited by: newjack on 1/24/10 10:12:09 AM CST

Hi, Jack:

I had the same thing yesterday.
          I had just opened a legitimate webpage in Firefox 3.5.7 (albeit from a hyperlink at BleepingComputer.com, so it should have been legit).

I got the McAfee popup as well.

It, too, was the Artemis! trojan.

Successfully blocked by the FW twice.

I went into quarantine and deleted it.

Checked the file location (it was in AppData>Temp>Local) and confirmed it was gone.

Ran a deep scan with McAfee and at least 1 of my standalone AV/AMs to be sure.

This was the first time EVER McAfee successfully detected and blocked anything in over a year since buying this machine.

Given all our ongoing problems over the past 2 weeks, and my overly paranoid vigilance and my overly vigilant paranoia, this little escapade scared the youknowhats off me.

I'm too old to believe in coincidences, esp when it comes to computers.

This is especially so b/c I never had problems with malicious IP attacks, malware, McAfee problems until the server/CDN thing started 2 weeks ago.

But, as it happened, my scheduled T3 call came last evening and we did some additional looking around on the machine to confirm the little bugger was gone.

I won't jinx myself by saying anything else at this time.

I *am* signed up for Carbonite now, though, and I'm in the process of my initial backup, as we speak.

See ya,

MM

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: questions on Artemis trojon

The same applies here.Other then the ongoing problems with updates and visual tracer,yellow e-mail,ect.It was the 1st time it actually detected for me.Although this could be a good thing,i agree with all the problems of late,you have to be paranoid.If i had plenty of money to throw away i guess it would`nt be so bad.But after just loseing a computer i can`t afford to spend another $1500.00 so soon.By the way thank you for replying. I have had a few questions go unanswered in the past.It is to bad that other then the people that volanteer their help.That Mcafee does`nt also dedicate an employee to these chats with so many questions from their costumers.Especially since many people don`t find the chat service very helpfull.

Do you reccomend any am?